Legs curving oddly ...arthritis or?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Harley's Mom, Feb 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harley's Mom

Harley's Mom Member

The reason I recently took Harley to the vet earlier this month was originally because of his front legs. Over the last 18 months or so his front legs have gone from straight to an odd curve. Like they hyperflex forward. What has me confused is that his legs were normal up until 18 months or so ago.

At about that time he started have UTI problems and we changed him to HILLS CD because the vet was insistant. We kept him on that for over 6 months and he begin to look so crappy with his hair thinning and bald spots that I took him off that food and put him on Wysong Uretic. I had tried him on wet food back then and he refused it and I allowed it and kept him on dry.

Anyway, when I noticed the odd curve to his front legs and his limp I took him to the vet and in truth they kinda blew me off. Saying they really didn't see what could have caused the change. (I think they believed the big change was in my head) They suggested I start him on Glyco Flex II for joint issues and I did this but I saw no difference.

The beginning of this month I took him back to the vet for the leg issue again because I can tell he is in pain (especially one leg) when he walks. He has an obvious limp and he sometimes picks that one foot up and shakes it too.

It was at this visit that we found the diabetes (which I think is dry food & pain related) Sidetracked again the vet just basically said it looks like arthritis and spongy joints??? He prescribed him metacam for the pain which I have heard is a problem.

Today I called to get more info on their findings and realized they never even x-rayed his legs. I didn't know this because my husband dropped him off that day and picked him up. So....can they diagnose arthritis without xrays? Have any of you seen front legs start bowing this way midway through life? He is a big boy and has been about 24 to 25 lbs for the last 4 years or more but when I ask the vet he says he isn't fat. He is very big, tall, huge!

I have this odd feeling that this bone and joint problem is something I caused by putting him on HILLS CD and I am wondering if any of you have heard of this?

I have another appointment that I will be going to myself this Saturday but I want to gather questions and info before I go so that I am prepared. You have to remember, I am in a small town in Texas and these vets are better with cows and horses than cats and chihuahua's. They try but aren't that experienced with these things. Sadly there are few options in my small town. I like one of the vets but the other one is kind of a snob or comes off that way. Very little bedside manner.

I am putting two pics here, they are actually the same pic of Harley about 3 years ago. Normal straight legs when he is sitting on haunches. The second picture I have drawn a line on to show the curve. I will try to get a picture soon but it is very obvious in person.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

Diabetic neuropathy is most often seen in hindlegs but I would imagine can affect the front legs as well...I was looking for a good photo and found http://www.newmanveterinary.com/Diabete ... nsequences

I am slightly appalled at your vet's lack of concern......even considering your location! Hopefully others have some good ideas. We diagnosed arthritis in our dog without xrays, but I trust my vet. We also spent a lot of time discussing treatment options and she truly cares. I doubt the problem is specifically contributable to the CD but if it is diabetes than indirectly yes. Please do look at the comments in your other thread about treatment options for arthritis and consider stopping that metacam.

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Most of my cats have eaten, some for over ten years without problems. I think x-rays might provide useful information.

4. Janet & Binky (GA)

Janet & Binky (GA) Senior Member Staff Member Moderator

You're sure it's Hill's C/D rather than S/D, right? I could see something like that happening over a long period of time with a diet which is formulated to be too acidifying. But that's just hypothetical.

-- Janet

5. Harley's Mom

Harley's Mom Member

No I am sure it was Hill's CD, but to be sure I have no real proof this is where his problem started. Although during his time on that food his hair started thinning and he even develped some bald patches. Once I stopped that food his hair improved.

6. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I doubt the CD caused the leg problem since I have been using it for over ten years with no such problems. SIx cats on it now. The loss of fur could be due to an ingredient in the CD that Haley is allergic to.

7. Jayne & Sweety

Jayne & Sweety Member

Hey, I just happened to see this, (I know the thread is kind of old ), but my cat was doing the "shake" the paw thing too. I mentioned it at the vet last time we were in for her hyperT med bloodwork check and since the bloodwork came back as low calcium and potassium (which was wrong) he said it was that. That blood work was wrong - had another test 3 days later since some here said the numbers given were "incompatable with life" - so I thought it was a side affect from the meds.
    ANYWAY...I noticed one day, the way she was sitting, that one of her nails had grown INTO her pad. When I then trimmed it, I could see I let it go too long. She hates it SO much. But that's what the "shaking" of her paw was. Poor baby, it was growing into her, curving around and it must have been hurting her, like an ingrown toenail maybe. The vet never even checked her paws. Now, I check them often. Don't want to have that happen to her again!
    Have you checked his nails? Do you regularly trim them?

8. Harley's Mom

Harley's Mom Member

Thanks for the suggestion but I just recently trimmed nails. Unfortunately it's not that easy. I am sure he is in pain.
    I have him on methyl b-12 and I am hoping that makes some difference in case it is neuropathy. If that doesn't help the problem I am thinking it probably is arthritis.
    Right now he is already happier since I have his diabetes under control and I think he is losing a little weight so that may help him a little too.

9. Shiroji

Shiroji New Member

I havent seen any limping but my cat Misty has a slight unusual curve right above her front right paw. She was fat when we got her and she's been on a diet of strictly wet food like our vet instructed in hopes of helping her lose weight, we've had her for about a year and a half and she currently weighs 14 lbs. If Harley weighs 25 lbs then he is in trouble. He needs to lose weight as quickly as possible. I can see the fat in the pictures and I know thats not just fur because my cat's "fat" bubbles around her when she's sitting down as well, you can't even see his back legs! If you can't tell for yourself that he's fat then you need to start paying more attention. Also seeing as this was written 5 years ago, your vet is a dumbass and if you haven't already, go find a new vet.

Last edited: May 15, 2015
  10. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Certain types of cancer in the bone may cause bone pain, limping, and breaks, though it would tend to be on 1 side only. Other bone loss conditions also could cause pain and limping. X-Rays may show any bone lesions.

11. Lou the stinker poo's mom

Lou the stinker poo's mom New Member

My cat louie has neuropathy in both his front and hind legs. His front legs look exactly like your second picture. I will try to get a picture of him if I can. I just ordered Zobaline yesterday (B12 with Methyl),which was highly suggested by the folks here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.