Leo's history

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Ginger Leo, Oct 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ginger Leo

Ginger Leo New Member

Hello there, My name is Maria writing on behalf of Leo (He is not good with the laptop yet :) )He is 8 years old next months.Leo was diagnosed last May and started with Caninsulin first week of June.He was really good, just 1unit twice a day and almost in remission, eating high proteint wet food and m/d Hills dry food.However last August he avoid eating, losing more weight and ending with DKA.He was really poor, 5 days in the pet hospital and survived. Now we are better but still worried about his diabetes. He needs 3.5 units twice a day but since I started to test at home is being a mess. He is now on high protein wet food (Lillys Kitchen)twice a day but his results are really strange. Sometimes he is 23 in the morning and by night 6.9 I do avoid the shot thinking on hypos and again the following morning he is almost 30. We live in uk.Any forum for English kitties? I don't know what to do. Any advice? Thanks

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Diana&Tom likes this.
  3. Diana&Tom

Diana&Tom Well-Known Member

Hi Maria and welcome to FDMB, you'll find loads of help here. There are a few of us in the UK who can help with specific food and supplies queries, but the basic principles of treament are the same everywhere. Do post on the Main Health forum as Sharon suggests above, and meanwhile I'll tag a couple of other UKers so they can look out for you @Kate & Toby @Georgiana & Perlutz

Best of luck!

4. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Welcome Maria and Leo. You will find lots of information and support here on FDMB.

We use a spreadsheet here to record the insulin and testing data. The graph shows us the trends and patterns of how the insulin is working on a daily and cyclic basis.

Would you please set up a signature for Leo's information that will display with each of your posts, and then set up the spreadsheet and plug in the data for at least the past few weeks, more if you have that data.

Then the advising members will have that data to refer to before making additional suggestions.

Setting up your signature (light grey text under a post). Here's how:
    click on your name in the upper right corner of this page
    click on "signature" in the menu that drops down
    type the following in the box that opens: kitty's name/age/date of diabetes diagnosis/insulin you're using/glucose meter you're using/what (s)he eats/any other meds or health issues (s)he has. You can add the geographic location (sometimes the country/time zone matters) Be sure to SAVE when you are finished.

Spreadsheet instructions
    Understanding the Spreadsheet Grid

If you care to, you can provide more background or additional information in the Personal Details/About You section, found in the same menu as the Signature.

Wishing you the best as you go forward with getting Leo more regulated and allaying some of the worries and uncertainties you are dealing with. :cat:

5. Ginger Leo

Ginger Leo New Member

Thanks for the replies. I am doing the signature with all the information about us. I will post in the 'main health forum' as you advice.@Sharon14 Yes, last week I did some tests 2 hours-5 hours after shot. I am writing everything on the spreadsheet.I believe that Caninsulin is not lasting enough time for him to be regulated.Thanks to all the people in this forum.

Sharon14, Diana&Tom and Idjit's mom like this.
  6. Kate & Toby

Kate & Toby Member

Hey Maria,welcome! I from the UK too. Toby started with Caninsulin and we changed to prozinc as it wasn't lasting long enough. I'm not sure about the carb content of the lily's kitchen, i think you could find a food with lower carbs.

Ask lots of questions and get your spreadsheet up and you will find lots of help xx

7. Ginger Leo

Ginger Leo New Member

Hello Kate, thanks for your reply. Apologies for my late reply.We are changing next week to prozinc as my vet suggeted it would be best for Leo. With the numbers in front of us, it seems that caninsulin is not lasting long enough so at the end of the cicle Leo is over 20.About the food we used to buy Royal Cannin DM in the past but Leo was very bad controlled.I think that food is really high on Carbs.With Lily's kitchen he is being really good.It has no carbs, specially the Fish menu.The only 'but' in the cargeenan thing...not sure is that is good or bad.Other good thing is that I can find it just around the corner so, we're never short in food.What food do you use?

Georgiana & Perlutz likes this.
  8. Georgiana & Perlutz

Georgiana & Perlutz Member

Hi Maria and Leo :cat:

Nature’s Menu Country Hunter is another low carb food relatively easy to find (most Waitrose stores sell it and quite few places online). There’s also Thrive which is low carb, good quality and it can be found in Pet’s Corner if you’re lucky to have one close to you or online.

This is very good list of UK foods put together by a FDMB member ElizabethAndBertie https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1J5JpMe6TDXrHq_aTl9hUtHy6Gs9oRBqlz4nPGKxtySA/pubhtml

Ginger Leo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.