Leslie and Cardamom, just diagnosed

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by lesliestr, Nov 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lesliestr

lesliestr New Member

Hi everyone. My cat Cardamom, also known as Mom-Cat, was diagnosed 2 weeks ago. I've lived with numerous cats and foster cats, have been active in cat rescue for years, and have dealt with a variety of other health issues, but this is my first experience with diabetes. I've read a lot of the introductory messages here already and don't have any specific questions right now, but just wanted to say hello.

My vet suggested a 2-week test of changing food only, and prescribed Hill's MD, both dry and canned. I've seen from what others have written here that those were not a great choice. The diet didn't lower her glucose, so today I picked up insulin. After reading more on this site, I'll get testing equipment before I change her diet again or start the insulin.

Cardamom was a feral cat rescued with 4 of her kittens, 3 from one litter and 1 from a previous litter, from an urban alley. The whole family has been living in an enclosure at my house, essentially a screened porch, for the past 5 years. At first she wouldn't get anywhere near me, though a couple of the kittens were friendly. Over time she has gotten comfortable with me, so when I needed to take her to the vet she let me pick her up and put her in a carrier without objecting. But now she's not letting me pet her - so giving insulin and testing is going to be challenging. I like the recommendations to establish a special spot where I give her treats and then do tests and shots.

I look forward to learning more!
    Leslie

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB.

3. Merlin

Merlin Well-Known Member

Leslie, welcome to FDMB too. How about before starting your insulin, you start with the low carb, wet food and then at the same time start handling her more. It sounds like you have already read about finding a special place, giving lots of good treats (only freeze dried chicken like Pure Bites, etc.), brushing, massaging, or what ever she likes. Not sure what food you were giving prior to the prescription, but if it was dry, it takes about four days to transition to all wet food. Here is a good place to start and good reading too. www.catinfo.org This document has a list of canned food to choose from and will also give you hints on how to transition from dry to wet food. Most folks here feed Fancy Feast, Friskies or 9-Lives pates. It should be under 8-10% carbs and most I believe feed around 4-5% carbs. You can also take back that prescription as I think it has a guarantee and say that your cat isn't eating it. During these four days of transitioning to the low carb, wet food, you can start collecting some of the things that you will need such as meter, strips, ketone strips, syringes, treats, etc. So I guess what I am saying; in order to make Cardamom feel comfortable, there are some things you can do first before you start poking and prodding her. If you do start insulin before getting her on the right food, you will definitely be needing to be testing her as numbers can drop as much as 100+. Also remember that if your vet tested her at the office, her numbers could be higher there than at home because of stress. What insulin are you getting? That is pretty awesome that you have been taking care of that family for over five years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.