Lethargy after insulin dose

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by SOBrien, Sep 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SOBrien

SOBrien Member

Boots has been on Lantus for about a week (he was just diagnosed so this is the first and only insulin he's been on). I have noticed that about 1 hour after I administer the insulin that he gets very tired and lethargic. He is usually acting pretty normal / good the couple of hours before his next injection. I mentioned it to the vet but we both suspect he's having a pancreatitis flare and thought that was probably the cause. Has anyone else experienced something like this when you first started insulin? Is it just that he needs to adjust? I did check his BG when he was acting really down and it was 256 so not too low (we're still working on regulating his dose). Thanks for any input you might have!

2. Beta kitty

Beta kitty Member

I was wondering about this too. Beta lays down right after getting her shot. She feels totally limp when I pick her up, like when I want her to eat and bring her to the food dish. Her blood sugar isn't low or anything either at these times. She will eat then go lay down again. She's only been on insulin-Basaglar- for just over 2 weeks.

3. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

yes, it can be totally normal

think of it like this....you're used to drinking lots of coffee and you start getting medication that reduces the amount of caffeine in your bloodstream.....you're going to feel pretty lousy for awhile

your kitties have gotten used to living at high glucose levels and you're now giving insulin to reduce that glucose

4. SOBrien

SOBrien Member

Thank you Chris and China, that does make sense and makes me feel a lot better! Tracy, I'm sorry Beta has been feeling the same way. I hope this phase of treatment passes very soon.

5. Beck and Philly

Beck and Philly Well-Known Member

Grandpa did the same thing his first day on insulin. He was only on 1u of Vetsulin, but he was super lethargic. I didn't home test yet so i went to the vet and he was in the 300s.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.