Levemir users, we are switching from lantus, I'm scared

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Phoebes (GA), Feb 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phoebes (GA)

Phoebes (GA) Well-Known Member

I am scared to death, in doing the switch. Can I hear some good switching stories to help my nerves!! Anything I need to look out for? Onset is later than lantus, +4? Nadir is +8-+10. How does that work having such a late nadir? I literally have no nails left. I've bitten them all off. I know I should post in LL but didn't want to lose my thread title for today.

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Hi Angela,

My guy isn't a high dose kitty but I switched from Lantus to Lev at the end of September with very little difficulty. I dropped his dose about 25% and it has stayed a tiny bit lower than his average Lantus dose. He feels better on Lev even though I don't see long flat runs very often. I had some of those with Lantus and all the snack/test/snack monitoring that went with them. He was more lethargic and seemed more irritable on Lantus.

Teasel's Lev onset is generally no earlier than +4 and he nadirs around +7 but right at PS sometimes. He still dives low occasionally and I have a sense that the Lev depot isn't as "strong" in its action as the Lantus depot, at least in Teasel. He can go for days at a dose and have blues and yellows and then he drops into dark green or lime green out of nowhere so, given his unpredictability, I follow my own dosing methods. By L&L standards I keep him slightly underdosed but that gives me a bit of a margin for his diving shenanigans and allows me to go about the rest of my life without worrying too much about his numbers if I have to be away from home several hours, need a good night's sleep or want to avoid lengthy food steering/testing sessions. Having said all that, here I am at 3:35 AM my time waiting to test him because his middle of the night test was a lime green and I had to give him a carb-laced snack. :confused:

3. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

I didn’t switch from Lantus, but I did switch to lev from prozinc. I was afraid at first too mostly because the depot is so different from prozinc. It didn’t take long though to understand lev and the way it works in Colin, and it won’t take you long either. You test plenty enough and you know Phoebe, you’ll be ok!

4. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

5. Phoebes (GA)

Phoebes (GA) Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.