Lewie's AMPS number was low so we skipped, so...

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Kathy4Lewie, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Kathy4Lewie

Kathy4Lewie Member

Lewie's AMPS was 91.
    Lord knows how low he got last night, but he's feeling great today. Two days ago we had a stall, and good numbers during the day yesterday, so this AMPS was surprising to me. I skipped his AM shot altogether because, 1.) his shot schedule keeps slipping (11am/11pm) and is too late for me and I wanted to move it up, and 2.) He hasn't NEEDED a shot today! He did this once before and when I showed his chart to the vet weeks after the fact, the vet said he'd be tempted to skip the evening shot, too, and see if he was going into remission.
    What are your thoughts? His chart is up-to-date.
    Thanks!

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Very interesting! A skip this AM was wise. Let's see where he is at PMPS. If this pattern continues it's a good sign. :)

Rachel likes this.
  3. Kathy4Lewie

Kathy4Lewie Member

It's time for his dinner so I tested him to see where he is and +7 skip = 239.
    Is his PMPS at his normal 11pm? If I test then, what number would you use to decide if it's a skip or a go? Or a reduced shot?

4. Kris & Teasel

Do you mean that his next shot is due at 11 PM? Re number: this is where your SS data comes in. You've been giving 1.6 u (mostly) for almost a week and have other PSs to look at. You could use the guideline of anything over 200 to give that dose. If it's a bit under, say 180 to 200, try a stall with no food for 30 minutes and retest. If it's 150 to 180, maybe try 1.0 u. It's a lot of guesswork and you need to experiment to see where the limits are. Always get a +2 test when you've done something a bit "scary".

If your goal is to back up the evening shot time to, say, 10 PM tonight, then test just before and that's your PMPS. It'll be less than 12 hours but you can use that same guide above. Again, guesswork. o_O

5. Kathy4Lewie

Kathy4Lewie Member

Yes, if we're pretending that we didn't skip this morning, his next shot would be at 11pm... actually 12pm.
    Jan 8: AM shot at 9:40am, PM shot at 11:15pm after we stalled.
    Jan 9: AM shot at 11:20am, PM shot at midnight because I stalled a little.
    Jan 10: AM shot skipped, PM shot ?

I guess my question is... since I skipped this morning, can I give the shot at any time tonight? Or does his body think that he got his shot this morning and is not expecting the next insulin boost until midnight?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  6. Lisa and little

Lisa and little Well-Known Member

I would think you could test at anytime from here on in tonight since it’s been 20 hrs since last shot and use that as PMPS assuming you can stick to the 12 hr schedule. Anyone else think otherwise?

Djamila and Jenna Josie like this.
  7. Jenna Josie

Jenna Josie Member

That’s correct! (And the good thing about skipping: you can get back on the schedule you want :) )

Djamila likes this.
  8. Kathy4Lewie

Kathy4Lewie Member

Excellent! I'll go check him now!

9. Kris & Teasel

Yes, I should have caught that. :confused: With no shot in the AM you can reset your new time this evening.

10. Kathy4Lewie

Kathy4Lewie Member

Perfect! Thank you everyone. I just gave Lewie his shot at 9:40pm Central. Much better than midnight! :)
    I reduced his shot a little from 1.6 skinny to 1.4u to see how he does.
    Thanks for working through this with me! :bighug:

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  11. Kathy4Lewie

Kathy4Lewie Member

I forgot to mention... his PMPS was 440 so it seems we are back on track.

Kris & Teasel likes this.