Lilly at 234

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by terri1962, Oct 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. terri1962

terri1962 Well-Known Member

Lilly is at 234 this evening. She has not had a shot since last Sunday. Her numbers are climbing steadily. However I have noticed that around the places I was giving her the shots in the scruff she is digging it to scabs. A reaction?
    She is also acting more normally without the insulin, she is out with the other cats. I am not sure what to make of this. I am still testing her and getting little no trouble with this although I am not testing her multiple time a day. I am sure there would be problems with that.
    She is getting into her bed on the tv which she has not done for a long time. She is now on the back of the couch which she has not done for a long time.
    I guess my question would be how do you know at what level for sure does the cat need insulin?
    I know she is not in remission but how do you know?

Terri

2. Terri,
    Can you test her before feeding and 2, 3 and 4 hours later? If you could see how much it goes up from eating, and then see if there is any downward movement, you'd know that her pancreas was at least producing some insulin like it is supposed to. If it isn't, then her numbers would continue to inch upward, and you may get to a point soon where she needs at least tiny doses to help her out.

It is encouraging to read the way you describe her acting - hanging out in old spots (if she's getting on top of the TV she must be feeling pretty well) and hanging out with the other kitties. It sounds like she's acting okay.

I think I said this in another thread recently, but sometimes is as/more important to watch the patient for indications on how she's feeling than to think only of "numbers". Her numbers now would indicate "diabetic", but still not sky high. I'm hoping she can improve on her own. If you aren't convinced she needs insulin, just keep a close watch on how she's acting day to day. Look for any return to how she looked and acted pre-diagnosis. And keep testing her (ketones too).

Carl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.