Lilly Grace, blood draw for dental not clotting

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by tuckers mom, Mar 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

Lilly Grace has to have some teeth removed next week. That's fine, but they drew blood about 2 hours ago and the little dot on her neck where they took it is still bleeding.

It's not a huge amount of blood.

I did call the vet, they said apply pressure, try to wrap guaze. She hated the wrap and kept knocking herself about. For those of you who don't know about Lilly Grace she has cerribular hypoplasia, a neurological disorder that means she has problems with motor skills. She bobs her head a lot and for her, it's severe enough that she can't walk. So, by wrapping her neck I caused her to bang herself around in annoyance.

Removed the wrap, held the gauze again, but it's still bleeding, I can see fresh red on her white fur that I washed off.

Keep applying pressure? Is the very very tiny amount of blood that's coming out enough to worry about?

ETA: vet said her blood clots normal in the tube. This is probably from her jerky CH movements and to keep her still and place ice on the spot. They feel that her extreme movements have moved the clot each time and basically re-opened the wound.

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Sounds like she also might have moved a little during the blood draw damaging the jugular vein a little and making it harder to clot to completely stop the bleeding. Under the hole is there a dark area indicating collection of blood (called a hematoma)?

3. tuckers mom

There's so much dried blood on her long fur right now I can't tell if there's an area that looks like bruise. She's a wiggly kitty so I'm sure it was difficult. They had her wrapped up in a blanket to help keep her still, but she's got energy and can wiggle out of lots of things.

I'll clean her up tonight if she doesn't and check for a hematoma.

Getting a little nervous now about the dental, but she needs the teeth out, feeding her is becoming very difficult.

4. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Might a styptic pencil help stop the bleeding?

5. tuckers mom

Venita, I thought about the styptic but I used the powder on myself last year, first time ever and boy did it sting. Lilly Grace gets so upset so easly if something stung her she'd flail about and probably fall off the bed. Drama queen doesn't even begin to describe Lilly Grace.

If something is wet, or cold, or basically anything, she can scream and hop away like no other cat I've ever seen. But, boy do I love that little lady :mrgreen:

6. Jean and Charcoal

Jean and Charcoal Well-Known Member

Oh, Jennifer,

Poor little Lily Grace! Will she be able to stay sedated long enough for her teeth extractions to clot properly? I sure hope so. She is so sweet on the videos you have shown of her.

How is Tucker doing? Maybe I missed a post on him. I have not been on too much.

Take care!

Oh, by the way, they do make a styptic paste special for cats and dogs called Kwik Stop. Vets use it where I go. Maybe that does not sting? The stuff I have says it has Benzocaine in it also. I bought it at Petsmart a year or so ago.

Hugs,
    Jean and Charcoal (GA)

7. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

The Tucker update (good) is on Community.

8. Holly and Pablo

Holly and Pablo Member

We have a client with a cat with cerebellar hypoplasia, and it's quite a sight to watch that kitty eat and walk around!

I hope the bleeding has stopped now!

9. tuckers mom

The bleeding did stop after a few hours, thank you for asking.

The vet called this morning to let me know her pre-surgery bloodwork is perfect. I, however, am getting more and more nervous, the idea of her going under is really scaring me.

Dental extractions will be Friday so I'll have the weekend to watch over her. For now I have to make all her food soup or she wont eat any of it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.