Lilly is FOUND!!!!!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lilly’s Mom, Jun 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lilly’s Mom

Lilly’s Mom Member

I looked many times today. I know that Lilly loves the night so I waited until after dark and then I went out again with a strong flashlight. We walked the neighborhood, shining a light on everyones yard. Discouraged, I went back home and was going into the garage to put away the light and Lilly came walking up from the back yard. I cannot even describe the joy in seeing her. I dropped the light, (which startled her and she ran - but I had left the garage door open a foot just in case she came home so she ran right into her space and hunkered down in the corner.)

I cannot even begin to tell you how happy my heart is. I checked her BG and its 334....not terrible given that she missed her morning dose and eating all day. She is happily munching away and I'll be giving her the regular dose tonight. She appears none the worse for being gone. I'm sort of still a mess. But a happy mess.

I also now wonder how accurate this meter is. The first test I ran say 78. I couldn't believe it so for some reason I ran a second one. I have never done a second one but I did this time. Her second test, taken right after the first one, different ear, was 344. Still not the awful 500's I expected but more in line with what I thought I would see given that she didn't get any food or insulin this morning.

I have the Advocate PetTest. Has anyone had any problems with this meter?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  2. Amanda and a Loudogg

Amanda and a Loudogg Well-Known Member

Wonderful news!! I'm so glad you found her (or she found you, as the case may be, haha). When I was researching meters, I thought about getting an Advocate, but it had some pretty bad reviews on Amazon. Apparently, it has a tendency to give falsely low readings because it will beep prior to actually having enough blood on the strip. So a lot of people will pull the strip away once they hear the beep thinking there's enough blood. Not having a full strip of blood leads to those falsely low readings. I'm thinking maybe something like that might have happened? If you keep the strip to the blood after the beep to ensure there's enough, hopefully you won't keep getting any wonky numbers.

Noah & me (GA) likes this.
  3. Lilly’s Mom

Lilly’s Mom Member

Thank you for that info. I will make sure there is an adequate amount of blood from now on.

What is a better meter?

4. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Most of us use the Relion Confirm or Micro from WalMart because it takes the tiniest sample size and the strips are affordable ($35.88/100)….they're also available anytime your WalMart is open which can be really helpful if your cat is running too low at 2am on a Sunday morning!

5. Lilly’s Mom

Lilly’s Mom Member

I will check those out. Hard to believe but when hubs went into her room to tell her gnight, she tried to slip out the door!! I guess she liked her big adventure. I’m going to look into a tracking device just in case she manages to slip out. The problem is people are in and out and don’t shut the doors like they need to. I’m so afraid she will escape again. If she had a tracker on her, at least I could find her.

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
  6. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Yeah that's very scary!! I'm lucky....China has never been interested in the great outdoors so she's never tried to slip out.

When I've tried to take her out (supervised on leash) she just wants to go back in the house

7. PamJV

PamJV Member

I am so glad Lilly came home. How long was she gone ? Yes, I know just how you must have felt. I went through something like that once too.

Noah & me (GA) likes this.
  8. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

If you like having a pet specific meter I really like my alphatrak. I keep costs down by using insulinx strips for some readings. (I get these on eBay for $10-14 for 50)

9. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Lilly is FOUND!!!!! :)
    Andy came right to our front door after 3 or 4 days at 3AM, caught him making a live trap out of a dog crate. Put food in the crate and waited behind the door to pull the string.
    I found Simon in someone's garage after a tech said he would be within 500 feet of our house. He was! I came home around 2AM and put him in my wife's lap, she cried for an hour.
    Never give up anyone, that cat is somewhere. I'm four times lucky.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.