Lily poisoning

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Luckylifty, Jun 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luckylifty

Luckylifty New Member

I'm terrified. I think it's too late for my little girl. I don't know much about flowers, so I thought I brought home an orchid from a banquet, but it may have been a lily.

She nibbled a little before I chased her away. She seemed normal and had a regular vet visit scheduled five days later. The doctor checked her out and pronounced everything fine.

That day, she gobbled her new food and I left for work. When I got home, she had thrown it all up. She hid from me all through the night, seemed fine in the morning.

Whhlen she hadn't defecated in two days, I took her to a clinic. An x-ray showed she was constipated. Doc gave me liquid laxative. Two doses later, she defecated.

I keep giving her the med, but she has stopped defecating again and hides for long periods. She'll see her regular doc tomorrow. Doc said she may need anesthesia.

This all sound very scary. I think for sure I'll have ended up killing my cat.

2. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

I don't think it is the flower.

This new food....how long had she been on it before the vomiting issue?

Noah & me (GA) likes this.
  3. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

I don't think a toxic plant or flower would take 5 days for symptoms like that.
    Anesthesia for what exactly? No doctor should say "anesthesia" and walk away, it's not to be taken lightly. Do some Google research on the flowers and make sure they are identified correctly. There a few good sites, just type cat/poison/toxic/flowers/plants.
    There are a lot of urban myths about some plants and flowers and a lot more unknown ones that can make cats and dogs sick. It wasn't you.

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Which laxative is it? How much are you giving? How many days since she pooped? I don't think the constipation had to do with the flower.

5. Luckylifty

Luckylifty New Member

The laxative is lactulose. She ate the new food very fast. Vomited it up about 8-10 hours later. This was four days after she nibbled the lily. She is urinating again now, but still not defecating. The e.r. vet saw a "large poop" on the x-ray. She'll see her regular vet tomorrow morning.

6. Luckylifty

Luckylifty New Member

She is still eating the same food and hasn't vomited any more.

7. Luckylifty

Luckylifty New Member

I don't know why she has started hiding from me. She is confined in the bathroom until we leave for the doctor tomorrow. I can't risk her hiding again. We might miss her appointment.

8. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

What was the old food, what was the new food? Is she drinking water? What is she eating now?

9. Luckylifty

Luckylifty New Member

Some of the info I read on line states that her not urinating and not defecating are signs that her kidneys are shutting down. They all point the finger at the the lily. She is urinating again, though.

10. Luckylifty

Luckylifty New Member

Both foods were/are Hill's Urinary Formula dry food.

11. Luckylifty

Luckylifty New Member

When she was two, she had surgery for bladder stones. She's been on Urinary Formula ever since.

12. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

Blood tests would tell you if there is acute kidney failure, I'm surprised that your vet didn't run blood when you went in originally. If you are taking her in again, I would consider asking for a complete blood count (CBC) and urinalysis. There may be some dehydration, since you are seeing constipation, you might want to try offering some tuna juice or maybe some canned food with extra water mixed in? Constipation isn't a common symptom in acute kidney failure, I think something else might be going on. The constipation certainly needs to be addressed, if that is occurring.

Dyana and Noah & me (GA) like this.
  13. Sohalia

Sohalia Member

Not urinating and not defecating are signs of a lot of different things. Not just kidneys shutting down due to a Lilly. In fact, frequest urination/drinking are a common sign for acute kidney failure. Don't assume a diagnosis, and then focus on only the symptoms that are relevant to you. I agree with Christie & Maverick. A CBC and U/A would be good, maybe alongside a chem profile. She is hiding because she is sick and she doesn't know why or what to do. It's common for cats to do this. Hopefully her regular vet can help more.

Noah & me (GA) likes this.
  14. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Don't assume anything. Cats will hide when they're sick, disappear behind the furnace when they're really sick so keeping her from disappearing in the house is a good idea. Don't put off a more complete blood and urine analysis for later, catch it now.
    Your baby doesn't have to be diabetic for us to care. Keep posting and know we're here. :) :bighug:

15. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Being constipated could make her vomit. You can try adding a teaspoon of plain canned pumpkin to the food.

16. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

How is she?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.