Lilycat Diagnosed Yesterday - NW Calgary?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Charp, Jul 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charp

Charp New Member

Hi - Lilycat was diagnosed yesterday with extremely high glucose levels. Trying to get my head wrapped around what this means and what we'll have to do in the upcoming weeks. This site looks like a good resource. I'm most scared about the injections and testing, being somewhat squeamish about blood at the best of times. Anyone in Calgary offering support and advice about the actual injections and testing? We're in the NW but Lilycat is a good traveler...

2. Shiloh & Rhonda (GA)

Shiloh & Rhonda (GA) Well-Known Member

Hey Char. Not anywhere close to Calgary but just wanted to offer my support, and welcome you to the site! There are some very experienced, knowledgeable, and great people here that will help you on your journey.

Charp and Lori & Lulu like this.
  3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

4. Lori & Lulu

Lori & Lulu Well-Known Member

Hi Char, I'm in SW Calgary, but I'd be happy to pop up to your place and help show you how to BG test and inject. Unfortunately, I'll be away tomorrow and Saturday hiking in the mountains, but if you want to PM me your phone number, I'll give you a shout.

5. Charp

Charp New Member

Thanks Lori. We see the vet in the morning and am hoping I can get the hang of the injections. Will be in touch next week if I still need help!

Lori & Lulu likes this.
  6. Charp

Charp New Member

Well just tested myself with Lilycat's new blood glucose monitor. Didn't pass out with the sight of blood and hurt less than I thought. (BG was good!). Took a good look in her ear tonight and can't see the vein I'm supposed to hit as her ears are black rimmed, but hopefully will be able to find it tomorrow!

Lori & Lulu likes this.
  7. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Actually, you want to prick between the vein and the edge of the ear. Here's a pic of the sweet spot:
    ear veins.jpg

You may see it better from the inside of the ear and it is okay to prick on that side.

Charp likes this.
  8. Charp

Charp New Member

Just watching some videos. Trying to psych myself up for tomorrow. Thanks for the pic

9. Lori & Lulu

Lori & Lulu Well-Known Member

It does get easier, I promise. I was a basket case at the beginning, but the support on this site is phenomenal.

Charp likes this.
  10. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Practice on a piece of fruit, like an apple or peach. Then, practice on yourself. Once you are comfortable with how it works, the timing, and how to manipulate it, test your cat.

Charp likes this.
  11. Alix

Alix Member

Hi Char,

I am in SW Calgary also and if you need help I am also available - the actual drawing of blood for testing is the hard part - the injections are easy - I am very lucky as my Scamp comes to me without an issue but she knows that there is food involved!!! Anything I can do to help!

Charp likes this.
  12. Charp

Charp New Member

Thanks for the fruit suggestion! I now have a half dozen pokes in the thumb and it's getting sore :cat:

13. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

When you actually test your cat, use a folded tissue or makeup pad to brace the ear and protect the finger.

Charp likes this.
  14. Brashworks

Brashworks Member

OMG Char, you really are going to the ends of the earth for Lily. Your poor thumb! I had a look at your spreadsheet - looking good! I had a peek at Lily's SS - I was wondering what diet she was on before she started her insulin? You will find great improvement once off the dry, though as they say around here (and is very true!) ECID, or Every Cat Is Different.

My vet also prescribed Caninsulin, 2.0 units 2x per day to start, but thanks to this board and the support of my vet, the recommendation to home test showed that the new diet had a major impact on her numbers and her dose was decreased.

My vet also gave me some Purina DM - Genghis liked it well enough but it is super expensive. I changed Genghis from her very pricey dry food to Fancy Feast (the Classic Pate varieties in Canada, Chicken in pink Can, Tender Liver & Chicken in the sort of gold/orange can and the Turkey and Giblets in the olive green can are the low carb ones - stay away from the other varieties - Petsmart and Walmart both have them on for $0.60 a can right now so I am buying cases!)

Once you start tracking Lily's numbers things will all fall into place. If she is a little piggy like Genghis, and since it's good to feed about a half hour prior to a Caninsulin shot because of the way it works (it's actually 2 types of insulin - 30% short acting and 70% long) - it will smooth out the action and maybe not make her BG drop too fast -- anyway, I usually poke Genghis when she is lapping up her food. I've been very lucky using this as a distraction/reward and I like to test her pre-shot and then about 3 and 5-6 hours later so I can figure out how the insulin is working. Hope that helps!

PS How old is Miss Lilycat? She has such a pretty face.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.