lily's kitchen cat food??

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Foxycat, Feb 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Foxycat

Foxycat New Member

2. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

hello
    sorry I haven't heard of them, nice website thou.

u might wanna add U.K to ur subject line, to get the attention of our European members

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I cant find a detailed list of ingredients on their site. All I found was a general list of ingredients that included veggies and brown rice and lentils among other things.

4. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

Lily's Kitchen Organic Dinner with Chicken for Cats: Delicious grain-free, carb-free complete food made with 60% Organic meat – Organic chicken (30%), Organic Beef (15%), Organic Turkey (10%), Organic Pork (5%), Organic carrots, Organic Dandelion, Organic Nettle, Organic Spirulina, Carageenan, Minerals, Vitamin E 20mg/kg

Lily's Kitchen Organic Dinner with Lamb for Cats: Delicious grain-free, carb-free complete food made with 60% Organic meat – Organic Lamb (30%), Organic Beef (20%), Organic chicken liver (5%), Organic Pork (5%), Organic carrots, Organic Dandelion, Organic Nettle, Organic Spirulina, Carageenan, Minerals, Vitamin E 20mg/kg

Organic Dinner with Fish for Cats: Organic meat minimum 65% - Organic Fish (30%), Organic Chicken (10%), Organic Turkey (10%), Organic Pork (10%), Carageenan, Taurine, Nutrient-rich Organic Spirulina, Minerals, Vitamins - Vitamin E 20mg/kg

Lily's Kitchen Organic Dinner for Kittens: Organic Meat 65%: Organic Chicken (35%), Organic Pork (15%), Organic Turkey (10%), Organic Fish (5%), Carageenan, Taurine, Nutrient-rich organic Spirulina, Minerals and Vitamins - Vitamin E 20mg/kg

5. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

What doe the %'s mean? Percentages by weight? callories? or what. I found out how to find the ingredients on their site. The anaylsis of the chicken is?
    Nutritional Breakdown:
    Typical values per 100g
    Protein 10%
    Fat 5.5%
    Fibre 0.3%
    Ash 2%
    Moisture 82%

This adds up to 17.8 of ash, protein, fat and fiber. So only 0.2% is carbs. which is good. These numbers are not directly comparable to J&Bs numbers since her are based on dry matter basis with the % being % of calories from the constiuants while the above are % by weight.

6. Lisa dvm

Lisa dvm Member

I have been corresponding via email with Henrietta Morrison, the founder/owner of Lily's Kitchen.

This food sounds like a nice...new choice for UK folks. Grain-free and only 5% veggies. Therefore, it is very low in carbs.

7. Jayne & Sweety

Jayne & Sweety Member

Hi Larry,
    I surely was intersted in a .2% catfood too, but I do the calculations on foods that are not on Janet & Binky's list by Dr. lisa's page
    http://www.catinfo.org/commercialcannedfoods.htm
    "Guaranteed Analysis:

Protein (min) 10.0%

Fat (min) 6.0%

Fiber (max) 1.0%

Moisture (max) 78.0%

Ash (max) 1.8%

If you add up all of those numbers, you get 96.8%. Subtract this from 100% and you get 3.2% carbohydrates on a wet-weight basis. However, values should be considered on a dry matter basis (DMB). In order to convert that 3.2% into a dry matter basis, we must divide it by the dry matter in the food which, in this case, is 22%. (100% - 78% moisture = 22% dry matter.) 3.2% divided by 22% = 14.5% carbohydrates on a DMB. Most of us would walk away from a food with that carbohydrate level.

However, when I obtained the more accurate measured values (versus minimums and maximums) from the company, it turns out that the fat content is closer to 11% - not 6% as listed on the label (as a minimum) and the protein was actually 12% not 10%. The moisture content was measured at 73% - not 78%. The wet-weight carbohydrates measured at 1.7% and the carbohydrates on a DMB were 6.5%."

Lily's is 82% moisture - so according to the above calulation: subtract that from 100% = 18. divide that .2 by 18% and it comes out to be 1.1 - really good.
    But I have found that calculating page very helpful. It's not hard, really.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.