Lin (Belgium) & Bacato

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lin - Bacato, Apr 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lin - Bacato

Lin - Bacato New Member

Hi all,

my name is Lin and I have a beautiful 15 years old male cat named Baco (I'm going to call him Bacato for you, as Ruby's cat Baco has the same name and that would be too confusing).

Some details about Bacato: he's 15 years old and his weight now is 6,2 kg. He has had some overweight earlier (has had olmost a weight of 8,5 kg). We put him on a diet and he started to loose weight, but we saw it was going too fast, and he started loosing power in his paws/legs. So we went to the vet, were he had a blood test. Then we got the news that he has diabetes.

That we only know for 2 weeks now. Our vet started the treatment with ProZinc, but told us it was very new in Belgium. Only since february.

He started with a frustosamine level (dont' know US term) of 545 μmol/l
    And the blood sugar level is this the right term?) of 481 mg/dL

The vet decided to inject 2 times a day 2 units (in a 40U syringe).

After one week he didn't get worse, even got a little bit more weight. But the blood sugar level raised to 592 mg/dL. He got the test 9 hours after the injection of 2 units.

I'm not taking blood tests myself yet. Now we go once a week to the vet. I'm still reading and learning a lot about all this. This is all so new and overwhelming for me...

The ProZinc units we are giving are following the conditions in the Dutch leaflet, but somehow we are concerned of Bacato is not having too much?

greetings
    Lin

Ruby&Baco likes this.
  2. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hello Lin and Bacato, and welcome to FDMB! :bighug:

I'm in the UK, and Prozinc has just started to be available here too. For a long time, we've only had Caninsulin, so it's quite exciting to see that we Europeans now have the option of Prozinc also. It's been available in the US for a long time, so this forum is a great place to learn how to use it to it's best advantage.

I think many of us felt overwhelmed at first. (I certainly did!)
    First of all there's the shock of the diagnosis, and then there seems to be so much information to take in.... But it does get easier. I promise! And the good news is that, with good care (and just a little bit of luck), a diabetic cat can live as long and as healthily as a non-diabetic. :)

Are you planning to learn how to test Bacato's blood glucose at home? It isn't nearly as hard as is sounds. And many cats come to actually enjoy the tests if they are rewarded with treats. ;)

Big reassuring (((hug))) to you,

Eliz

Ruby&Baco likes this.
  3. Ruby&Baco

Ruby&Baco Well-Known Member

You are going to be just fine Lin! Here on the US forum they are more then willing to help you (us) with our Baco's :) They have already been a big help for Baco and me, and so will they be for you.

Last edited: May 18, 2016
    Critter Mom likes this.
  4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB.
    We've guidelines for using Prozinc in the Prozinc section. that will help you use it optimally.
    Also see my signature link Secondary Monitoring Tools for other assessments you may find helpful in evaluating Bacato.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
  5. scoobydoox

scoobydoox Member

Hello and welcome

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.