Linking to spreadsheets

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Terri and Lucy, Jan 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Terri and Lucy

Terri and Lucy Member

Sorry for the technology note here, but for those of you who have spreadsheets, can you modify the HTML code linking the spreadsheet so that it will open in a new window?
    <a href="http://www.spreadsheet.ctm/yourcat.htx" target="_blank">
    Your cat's spreadsheet!</a>

2. Sarah and Buzz

Sarah and Buzz Well-Known Member

I tried that and then the link to Buzz's SS didn't work at all. What am I doing wrong? :)

3. Terri and Lucy

Terri and Lucy Member

It appears that the default BBcode set does not include a phrase for spawning a new window. Rebecca would have to add that option and I doubt if it's on her priority list right now.

So we can't do what I asked for. Sorry--never occurred to me it wouldn't be technically possible.

4. Sarah and Buzz

Sarah and Buzz Well-Known Member

I apparently have no clue. :( I did that, and it works now but it does not open it in a new window.

5. Gator & H (GA)

Gator & H (GA) Well-Known Member

Not that I know of - but I do not know the options Rebecca has set. The old board allowed HTML but I think this board only allows BBCode. HTML is considered a security issue and most boards, blog comment areas, etc do not allow it.

As in your link that you posted, in HTML the way to open in a new link is the "target=_blank" option in the a href tag.

6. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

For the time being, you have to right click on links to get the option to open them in a new window.

I have sent Rebecca the info (at her request) on how to make the mods to change the default. Unfortunately it's not as simple as a BBCode addition. I forget the details, but it's a more involved mod. As far as I know it's on her to-do list, but I would guess it's not near the top given that it's not a simple fix.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.