Liquid Gabapentin

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Puddensmom, Aug 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Puddensmom

Puddensmom Member

I was given Gabapentin to be used as a sedative before Pudden's upcoming vet visit. After leaving the vet with the medication it dawned on me there could be some sugary syrup ingredients in it as it's a liquid that looks much like lactulose does.
    Does anyone know if liquid gabapentin is not safe for diabetic cats? She is in remission and I of course don't want her coming out if it.

2. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I'm always suspect of meds in liquid form. Here's what I could find:

Gabapentin Oral Solution contains 250 mg of gabapentin per 5 mL (50 mg per mL) and the following inactive ingredients: artificial cool strawberry anise flavor, d-xylitol, glacial acetic acid, glycerin, purified water, and sodium acetate. Glacial acetic acid and/or sodium acetate used to adjust pH.
    https://www.drugs.com/pro/gabapentin-oral-solution.html#s-34069-5

However, I assume you're talking about using a very small/tiny amount for this single vet visit. Talk to your vet. Using it this once probably isn't anything to worry about...

3. Shoeskitty-GA

Shoeskitty-GA Well-Known Member

The gabapentin that I used for Shoes was compounded by a pharmacy. It had a small amount of stevia in it.

Jill & Alex (GA) likes this.
  4. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

ask the pharmacy that compounded the med. Liquid Gab is not commercially available and is thus compounded by individual pharmacies. If it was provided by your vet ask your vet.

Jill & Alex (GA) likes this.
  5. Puddensmom

Puddensmom Member

Thanks for the replies everyone. Just wanted to update and let you know that I called the vet and was told they compound the gabapentin right in their clinic and that it is sugar free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.