Literally fully frustrated AGAIN

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi, Apr 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi Member

497. I know it was yet another freaking miss this am. And tonight...the #%^*’ needle bent again so I know it’s a miss too.
    10 hour shift and she has poop all over her butt. Transitioned to fast mixing old food with new.
    If the new 29g needles that arrive tomorrow don’t help I’m about to throw my arms up in frustration. Suggestions on how to give shots aren’t needed I’ve read and tried til I’m literally blue in the face.
    I just want to cuss or cry!

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Sorry this happening. I hope the new needles make a difference and both of you feel better.

3. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

Did you try and trim some fur so you can see her skin better??

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Sorry you're having a hard time with it. :( I'm sure it's extremely frustrating. Honestly at that high id probably give A half unit extra if you are sure she doesn't get much of it.

5. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Would it be possible for you to book some time with a vet tech at your clinic to go over the whole process of giving a shot from start to finish? You could practice there using saline in a syringe with the tech watching and try troubleshooting the issues. It might be time well spent.

6. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Also try posting a new thread asking if anyone in your area might be able to help. Or even contact a local rescue, they might have someone experienced with giving injections. Maybe not insulin but you need help with technique.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  7. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Yes, a 31 gauge needle is thin. Until your new needles arrive, you could try this:

Place the cat perpendicular to you.
    Make a large tent in the scruff with your left hand.
    Check with your left thumb that indeed you have created a tent with the opening at the body end and not the head end.
    Hold the needle by the cylinder about 1/3 away from the needle end.
    Position the cylinder roughly parallel to the spine. (This way you know that you are going to enter the tent and not hit anything hard.)
    Push the needle with as little force as necessary.
    Once the needle is in, quickly move your right hand up to the plunger and push down the plunger.

Holding the needle by the cylinder might help you keep everything straight and hopefully not get a bend.

krazy4kritters and Kris & Teasel like this.
  8. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

I’m sorry again all...I need to sit on my thumbs (I’m on phone thumb typing) when I’m as frustrated as I was last night. I would never just give up on my Gretchen. And although I know they can sense it, I am very gentle and soft spoken with her. Then I come here and let loose lol.

@Red & Rover (GA) - that is one I had not heard. I will definitely try this this am. And I will go back to vet and get help and have them shave a few spots if new needles don’t work. I’ll have to use the hair like 31g this am and the 29g’s come today.

9. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

About to test and will see if last night was a miss. BYW she is starting to hate me going for the ear and off topic a bit the paw worked great last night!

JanetNJ likes this.
  10. Red & Rover (GA)

It can also help sometimes if you place the tip of the needle against the skin in the tent then instead of pushing the needle in with your right hand, you hold the cylinder firmly in place and push the tent of skin into the needle with your left hand.

Edit: this was the way I was taught to be subq fluids. I don't know whether it will work with a smaller needle.

11. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

Pretty sure this am was another FAIL. She starting to resent me and fight. She jumped away and I’m pretty sure I missed.

12. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

She’s a grudge holding type. She’s starting to not trust me. I’ll brush and spend time with her over my days off but she knows. Gretchen never has been a cuddly cat and this is really taking it toll on both of us

13. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

I have no clue but fairly sure I missed again- she jumped :( I’ll give another half

14. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

This is really upsetting both of us.

15. Red & Rover (GA)

Please DO NOT give another half. You can never be 100% certain that was a fur shot.

16. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

Too late. @JanetNJ suggested to so I did

17. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

Love that idea Kris

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  18. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

Hi Gretchen, I’m sorry you are having trouble with this, you have been given some great advice, I promise it will get easier once you get the hang of it. :bighug:

When did you give the 2 units and when did you give the additional half unit? Was it at regular shot time? Can you mark on your SS when the insulins were given so that it is documented?

19. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

I did. I did the half right after I gave the 2 and all at regular time..right around 11a. Since she’s been running so high (cause of all my misses) I’m not too worried.

20. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

“You, my dear, are the center of so much stress”
    1A94B33E-79E2-46CF-9BDA-269F462778B0.jpeg

At least her pupils aren’t dilated. I need to go feed horses...I plan on testing BG at 1.

21. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Such a pretty girl! :)

22. Phoebes (GA)

Phoebes (GA) Well-Known Member

She is a beauty. And it will get better. Hang in there!

23. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

I bent a few syringes with Nigel and he once ran down the hall with a syringe hanging off him. I felt like dr. Mengele.
    I switched from the scruff area to the back shoulder. I get Noah on his side to relax the muscles, give him a little back rub to relax, do a half tent and slide a 29 gauge in almost perpendicular to his body and behind his ribs. He is a nervous boy but this works every time. I do not use the elephant size U40 syringes that Caninsulin supplies, they're awful.

24. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

New 29g did not arrive today :( I am going to have to reuse syringes :(. No choice- a run to town is a 2 hour ordeal.

Noah & me (GA) likes this.
  25. Noah & me (GA)

I know you're not happy about this. Be careful. And yes I've run out of everything at various times, left the vial out 3 nights ago.:blackeye::(
    used syringe.JPG

26. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

I’ve seen this...ouch :(

Noah & me (GA) likes this.
  27. Noah & me (GA)

But you haven't seen me come downstairs in the morning, head for the coffee pot when I see a glimmer of medical glass. The house is set for 68 at night so not a complete loss.
    Or.... A knock at the apartment door when the hallway was a big adventure. "Is this your cat?" Ooops, bad kitty!

28. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Crossing fingers it arrives today

29. Noah & me (GA)

This has really helped me. The BD lancets feel huge between your fingers, same idea as the extra fat ballpoint pens for people with hand injuries or arthritis. They come in a bunch of different gauges so they might look bigger but they're not. I use Monoject syringes; they have a softer feel to them, the tangs at the top are bigger and wider than other syringes so you have a better grip, I've never seen one I had trouble reading. They also have a scary long needle (1/2 inch, 12.7mm) but it's no big deal and not dangerous. They can be hard to find in stores so I hoard 400 at a time.
    My other Voodoo is to lay everything out in front of Noah so he isn't surprised or feels like I'm sneaking up on him. I'll pull gently his tail, sing a song, whatever he wants as long as it's not drama. Needles have gotten shorter in the last 5 years because they're made for humans who aren't covered in hair and they don't scare the legal department. I really hopes this helps you.
    Sorry for the bad focus but you'll get the general idea.
    bd_lance01.jpg DSC02727.JPG DSC02734.JPG

30. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Have you tried parting the fur with a comb so you see the skin? And do while eating.

31. krazy4kritters

krazy4kritters Member

She is beautiful!

32. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

After doing a tighter curve yesterday I must take back all my frustrations...I know there was a couple of fur grabs but now I’m seeing it’s the insulin spiking. I am going to call vet as soon as coffee migrates to my brain and see if he will prescribe Prozinc

33. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

It was for Sat, not Fri dang it. This one felt dull this morning :( I am not a “syringe user” and it really bothers me to reuse!

34. Red & Rover (GA)

Call some local pharmacies and ask if they will sell you a pack of 10 insulin syringes for use with novolin. Take in an old syringe to compare.

35. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

I pretty much know exactly what I want...I’m throwing this one away- I’m sure they’ll be here today. If not then yes, I’ll have to go to Walmart. Walmart scares me :joyful:

36. krazy4kritters

krazy4kritters Member

I dread every time I have to go there. I only started because of Diamond’s supplies. The things we do for our fur kids!;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.