Litter box habits - question?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jennifer and Porky, Feb 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jennifer and Porky

Jennifer and Porky Member

Hi everyone -

Just a question from a slightly paranoid mommabean... :?

Porky is doing great since he went OTJ early January - BG test last night was 74. He's very playful, energetic, happy and purry. But....he is leaving VERY lage clumps in the litter box. He doesn't strain, seem to have any pain or other issues - just peeing LOTS. He doesn't seem to touch his water bowl anymore, but I do add quite a bit of water to his canned food to make it all soupy.

He is a big boy - 19 pounds - so maybe he just goes a lot?

2. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

how old is he and when was the last time his kidney function was checked? my late Kitty pee'd like a horse it seemed when her kidneys started to get tired but she was 16 at the time too. don't panic though ok. i have a 5 year old that does too and he's healthy as can be really (stress kitty so he takes prozac). seriously. i've questioned his pee's numerous times. he pee's for 30-45 seconds straight nearly each time. :smile:

3. Jennifer and Porky

Jennifer and Porky Member

Porky is 5 years old - healthy as a horse (until the diabetes dx) - and apparently peeing like one, too! :lol:

His kidney functions were probably checked when he was at the ER/kitty ICU when he was dx'd - I'll have to check my paperwork when I get home....

4. Karen & Angus(GA)

Karen & Angus(GA) Member

I would check kidneys and thyroid just to be safe. But, if you are adding a lot of water to his food, it has to go somewhere. :lol:

5. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Jennifer - I agree with what Karen said (only in that I also add alot of water to my canned food) and they all pee up a storm, but drink no other water. :mrgreen: Someone had mentioned that once we got Webber's BG under control the litter buying would slow down, but this has not been so. But only because I add so much water to the can. LOL

Of course, if you are concerned (I am always an overly concerned bean) you should get porky checked out to ease your mind if anything.

6. FurballLover

FurballLover Member

We are going thru the same thing! Big Charlie is 15lbs and making large clumps as well. I too, am using water in their food to make 'gravy'. I haven't been overly concerned about it, as he is not drinking much water and his #'s, like yours have been in the green :)
    I would never say not to have him checked out--only you can decide if that is necessary. But IMHO, if he's staying in the green and playing/purring/acting normal--I personally, wouldn't be overly concerned. I know exactly how you feel, though. Things like this could drive a bean crazy worrying about our sugarcats!

7. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

yeah, probably a bit young to have kidney issues :D

8. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

Check for Hyperthyroid -- my HyperT cat peed lots before starting medication

9. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Besides blood tests, I consider an urine analysis (dipstick, specific gravity and sediment) is called for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.