Litter Box Question

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Elizabeth&Julia&Margaret(GA), Apr 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elizabeth&Julia&Margaret(GA)

Elizabeth&Julia&Margaret(GA) Member

Does anyone have any advice as to what to do to "ease" things through when the girls are using the LB? :D "Things" are a bit too firm here lol. We recently made a switch from FF to Friskies and I'm thinking of trying Wellness. Margaret (diabetic) and Julia (civvie) eat the same food so it would have to be something that is safe for both girls.

Thank you in advance!

2. Cheryl and Winnie

Cheryl and Winnie Well-Known Member

many folks on here have great luck using miralax sprinkled on food. But you would want to make sure that one didn't get it all ;-) I have not used that -- I'll get in touch w/ someone I know who does to see about the dose. It is OTC.

I have used lactulose ( requires a script from vet) as a softner for Winnie. It never effected her BG but some have reported it has caused an increase for them. It is a sticky liquid. But she liked the taste.

I also use psyllium powder in food. ( 1/8- 1/4 tsp) and make sure add extra water to the food with that.

with constipation water is key -- adding extra to their food is a great idea no matter which you use.

here is the wiki link to FD and constipation :
    http://petdiabetes.wikia.com/wiki/Constipation

Merck link - info on different laxatives and how they work( note some of the meds here are not cat safe -- read the small print and check w/ your vet ):

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index ... 190308.htm

hope things go more smoothly ;-)

3. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

As Cheryl said water is the key, add extra with each feeding if you're going to use the Miralax.

Miralax is odorless and tasteless, I have tasted it myself to see how best to give it to my kitties. I used to use Lactulose but my little man Henry(GA) hated it and fought me, but he never noticed the Miralax and Lilly Grace who takes it now has no idea.

I am giving 1/8 tsp per day, but you can give up to 1/4 tsp per day, sometimes more depending on the size of the kitty.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.