Litter problem. Getting mashed in back paws/hocks

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Roops, Dec 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roops

Roops Member

I was wondering if anyone could suggest or recommend a litter for our diabetic cat.
    We switched from non clumping to clumping months ago. It works out well. I clean the litter several times daily.

However we have a problem with our diabetic boy. Because he has neuropathy he cannot use the box as a normal cat. He lies down more than stands or squats. We keep hoping to see him regain use of his front and back legs again. The waiting is hard. We see small signs and moments of progress.

Because of his neuropathy he often gets litter mashed in his back paws, hocks, and sometimes his tummy. we try to keep on top of it, washing it off. He does try to clean himself but focuses more on the front paws than the back. he only spends a few minutes on his back paws before giving up. I was briefly thinking of putting doggie booties on him but know this would go over like a lead balloon. I hope for other options.

Roops has regained all he has lost. He is a big boy again. 20 pounds plus. We try to add water to his pate to slow him down eating. Hard to get a cat to exercise but we try playing with him daily. We are now feeding him freeze dried chicken treats, and pate. He still loves Temptations but rarely if ever gets any. And when he does it is 3 treats only. A far cry from the piles he used to be given.

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

3. WendyACE

WendyACE Member

Before I knew my Bailey was diabetic with the lovely side effect of thick sticky urine she would come out of her litterbox with cement shoes. The only litter I found that doesn’t stick is Yesterday’s News. It is recycled newspaper that has been ground and formed into pellets. Non-clumping but easy to clean. Hope this helps.

4. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

We use wood burning pellets from the tractor supply store. $5 for a 40lb bag. It's non-clumping and so, so much easier to clean.

5. Mimis mom

Mimis mom Well-Known Member

Dr Elsey makes specific litters for different concerns. I think they have a senior one that is supposed to also be good for diabetic cats.
    Mimi has been “sitting” in the litter I’ve noticed because of her leg neuropathy and I can’t seem to stick a keto strip into her stream as easily which is how I’ve discovered her sitting.
    She had a bladder stone less than a year ago and I want to make sure she doesn’t get a UTI - which I believe is the main concern about cats sitting in the box more than anything?
    Poor guy, he sounds like a giant ball of love.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.