Little DoDo went hypo tonight...

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by lovetheduns, Jul 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lovetheduns

lovetheduns Member

So DoDo has been doing pretty good for the most part.

My mom now works from home and keeps DoDo with her all day to monitor. She also is able to get 2 tests in while I am at work at the +3 or 4 area and the +8.

It seems like from the curves I have done, DoDo's nadir is pretty late in the cycle.

At any rate, she gets off of work at 1:00am and calls me with the info to put into my iPhone. This morning, I think I should have been more attentive as she said he was at 141. DoDo at the +4 and +5 territory is typically not so low. But I just drowsily put in the numbers and went to sleep. I didn't even set my alarm or anything. I woke up at 4:00am on my own and thought I should check on him. Since DoDo sleeps in my mom's room with the door closed, my mom has said he typically wakes up and is all bushy tailed as soon as he hears me walk on the steps. He was VERY alert when I got in the room and when I tested him in the bathroom, he showed as 32.

I gave him almost a 1/2 can of Hill's A/D. I know this will cause his sugars to rise and it is kitty crack to him. I rubbed a few drops of corn syrup in his mouth but he hates it-- so I opted to do testing every 15 min with only those things I gave him. In 15 min, he was at 43, and 15 more at 149, and now almost 1.5 hours past the incident-- he is at 291. :shock:

I think I am going to drop him to 1.5u and see how this does for him, although I am guessing I will have a rebound from those lows. This evening, he was at 65 for PMPS and I knew his sugar would spike as soon as he ate dinner, so I waited to shoot him with his 2.0 until almost 2 hours after he had eaten. I think now I should have held off. :(

2. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

For the hypo, it is a good idea to give just small amounts of food, like 1 or 2 tsp of HC, then test in 15min. You want to see what the food can do and if DoDo eats up too much, he'll be too full to eat more if he is still low.
    Some cats react strongly to HC foods, and others almost seem to ignore it.
    My Shadoe needs only a couple tsp and she comes up. My Oliver can eat a couple cans and barely rises! It sounds like Dodo reacts well to HC
    It is looking like DoDo is thinking about a dose crease, or something. He sure can get low on the 2u dose.

3. lovetheduns

lovetheduns Member

Oh Gayle you are certainly right!

This morning, only 3.5 hours later, Dodo tested on the meter as Hi.
    :(
    I think next time I need to give a much smaller amounts of the HC food. He reacts VERY strongly to HC foods, I found that out when he was eating the MD diet that the vet wanted him on it was almost impossible to predict his BGs.

On the plus note, he did eat all of his regular diet (he is back on raw with a canned LC mix).

4. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Always remember:

You can always give more food but you can't take back too much.
    The same goes for shots.
    When in doubt, it's good to ask and instead of worrying over too much, better to give too little.

Hindsight is usually 20/20, but now you know. Sometimes, it's the only way to learn how your kitty reacts.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

you know the kibble takes a while to kick in whereas the high carb canned does the job faster. good to keep one of the 'gravies' cans on hand. the corn syrup i would hold off on until it's rather urgent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.