Little Man

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Natalie Dudding, Mar 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Natalie Dudding

Natalie Dudding New Member

my cat has only been diagnosed in Sunday so I am very new to all this. He is now on caninsulin 2 units twice daily but his sugars are still all over the place, his reading on Monday was 21.1 and Tuesday 26.1. Is there a recomended uk machine to buy to check sugars? Human or pet but not too costly, also is Hill Science plan prescription diet for diabetes the best on market for this too?

Natalie

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hi Natalie, welcome to you and Little Man! 2units is a fairly high dose for just starting out. I’m glad you’re going to home test so we can see what’s going on. I don’t have info on UK meters, so I’ll tag @Diana&Tom but you basically just want a human meter that takes the smallest amount of blood (.3 micro) look at the price of the strips too since you will be buying plenty of those over the course of time.
    As for food, Hills is definitely not the best food. Here’s a list of foods available in the UK. You want a wet food under 10 carbs. Do not change his food though until you are hometesting as the change could lower his glucose significantly and he would need less insulin.
    Come on over to the Main Health forum and ask any questions you have.

3. Natalie Dudding

Natalie Dudding New Member

I have managed to find one that has been used in the uk for cats :)

Sharon14 likes this.
  4. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

5. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

6. Diana&Tom

Diana&Tom Well-Known Member

Hi Natalie
    I may not be the best person to suggest a meter as I'm a tad out of date, but there have been a few threads here recently mentioning the Accu Check Performa Nano, the Code Free and the One Touch Ultra. Members in the UK have used all these and been happy with them. The Code Free (from Amazon I believe) is particularly cost effective so you may like to give that a go to start with - when you home test regularly, the main expense is the test strips as Sharon has said above, so look for a meter with strips that are affordable.

Good luck and keep asking questions! You're in the right place.

Diana

Sharon14 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.