Littles whacky ride

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Lisa and little, Nov 25, 2018.

1. Lisa and little

Lisa and little Well-Known Member

went lime at +5 today. Amazingly I did not freak out. Snack of N/c food back up to 105 at +6. My question is.. the 2.75 seems to be good when her pre shot is hovering around 300. Should I adjust dose to 2.5 for 250 and under pre shot which seems to be AMPSand hold the 2.75 when closer to 300? I feel like all these changes in dose aren’t helping her adjust but too low at + 4 and 5 scares me ... I will be home the next 2 days to watch closely. Perhaps I stick with 2.75 monitor closely and hope it kicks her pancreas into action?

2. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

You could try adjusting the dose like that and see how she does with it.

As far as "hope it kicks her pancreas into action"....I hope I'm misunderstanding what you mean by that. We would never ever recommend that you put your kitty in danger like that. If you think a dose is going to push her below 68, do NOT shoot that dose. Lower it and keep her safe.

3. Lisa and little

Not what I meant at all. I’m just thinking that if the doses are more consistent she may have a better chance of doing better. Believe me no way would I shoot on a low. I have gone all over with dosing trying to find the sweet spot and from what I am seeing it may be an almost daily decision based on numbers.

Djamila likes this.
  4. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

I brought up food in one of your previous threads, but I don't think you commented on it. "Let me throw this out here... your signature says you feed her only twice per day. Have you considered breaking that up into smaller meals more often? Sometimes, feeding that way can help things level out. If the insulin has a sharp impact then starts to rise fairly steeply, having food in the mix might help even that out a bit. I feed four times a day, every six hours, and leftovers remain out for them to graze on. Others have similar approaches." What are your thoughts on that?

5. Lisa and little

I would love to do that but she will eat anything that’s not nailed down all at once. I’m not sure how to implement it and for days I am not working from home I don’t know what I would do..

6. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

If she's your only kitty an automatic feeder might be the solution.

7. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

A lot of people use an auto feeder that can be set to open at a certain time to feed during the day while they are at work and during the night when they are asleep.

If it was me, I think I would drop to 2.5. I know you have done that dose before, but insulin needs constantly change. Not only did she dip too low, but look at how different her AM and PM pre-shots are starting to be. I am not a fan of changing the dose on a pre-shot by pre-shot basis only because I have found consistency to be very important. There are some cats out there who end up needing special dosing, but you are still new enough at this that I would not go there just yet. I think the goal right now should be to level things out. So, I would try dropping back to 2.5 and holding that for at least a couple of days. If you continue to have issues with her dropping a bit too low around +5 or so when you up her dose enough to get her into decent numbers, I would suggest you try adding a meal around that time. Insulin is not the only factor involved, and sometimes the other factors require adjustment when insulin adjustments alone are not working.

Just my two cents. :)

8. Lisa and little

Nope. One other ...