911 Liver damage, not eating, and glucose 350

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by VeronicaM, Dec 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VeronicaM

VeronicaM New Member

History: Jake is 7 years old. I got him at 5 years of age and he was over weight (26 pounds). He developed diabetes with in weeks after we got him. Vet started him on Purina DM dry & canned. He is a large breed, Siberian, and his weight should be around 17-20 lbs according to the vet. As of three weeks ago he weighted 18.5. His sugar has been had to keep under control so I started testing it per catinfo site. I was able to get it below 300 with regular testing.

Issue: Last Friday we started transitioning to the raw food diet. Made the recipe as directed. Mixed in 3/4th Purina DM with raw. Jake ate it happily and his blood sugar was getting better already. Saturday we did a 2/3rd to 1/3rd mix. Jake ate it in the morning but only took a couple of bites Sunday evening. Monday morning he refused to eat, was lethargic and started throwing up. At first it was green and then yellow with white slime. Blood sugar at 288 at this point and starting to throw ketones in the mid-range. By Monday afternoon I took him to the vet and they did a blood test. No fever. Blood results indicate he experienced some kind of liver damage (280). Doctor said it was probably the raw food diet. Jake stayed over night for IV drip and now he is on Denosyl for the next 30 days at least and maybe forever if his liver doesn't heal all the way. I picked Jake up this afternoon as vet said he was ready to go. His sugar is 311. He is limping a lot from where the IV drip was placed (leg in a half cast like device to hold the drip in place I guess). It's like his leg gives out when ever he steps on it. Is that normal after an IV? My bigger issue is that he has not eaten except a few bites Sunday evening. With his sugar up at 311, do I give him insulin? Ketones are now in the high range. He won't eat. When should I take him back in. My poor kitty is miserable. Help with what to do would be greatly appreciated!

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hi Veronica, sorry Jake is sick. If his ketones are high and he's not eating I would call a vet tonight. DKA is life threatening and the sooner he gets treatment the better the outcome. Good luck and please keep us posted.

SpecklesandMe likes this.
  3. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Normal blood glucose for a cat is:
    40-120 mg/dL on a human meter
    75–120 mg/dL at a veterinary lab, tests with a pet meter may be similar.

Thus, getting him under 300 mg/dL probably resulted in fat breakdown for calories due to not enough insulin. Too much fat breakdown results in hepatic lipidosis, aka liver damage. The fat overwhelms the liver and interferes with digestion.
    Fat breakdown also creates ketones. Too many ketones cause diabetic ketoacidosis, a potentially fatal condition.

With both of those happening - liver damage and ketones - going back to the vet is the prudent thing to do.

SpecklesandMe and Sharon14 like this.
  4. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Veronica - you must somehow get food into him if you have to mix it with water and syringe feed him. He needs insulin too. Doesn't matter what he eats, if he'll eat something with higher carbs - feed it to him. With ketones, he's likely headed into serious danger with Diabetic Ketoacidosis or 'DKA'. This can happen in hours, not days. He needs lots of fluids to flush ketones too. Vet tonight is REALLY REALLY where he needs to be. Ketones are caused by him burning his body fat stores. He could also have hepatic lipidosis from not eating.

HUGS and prayers too!!!

Picu, SpecklesandMe and Sharon14 like this.
  5. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Veronica,

I'm sorry to hear that Jake isn't very well at the moment. I can't help about the limp, but if he has ketones in the high range he needs food and insulin as a matter of urgency. If he were mine I would be looking to get him back to the vet immediately to stop him going into DKA (diabetic ketoacidosis). Try to get some water into him in the meantime - it helps flush the ketones out of the system.

If he has nausea symptoms let your vet know. Symptom checker here.

For nausea, ask your vet about Cerenia and Ondansetron (generic ondansetron is cheaper).

For appetite stimulation, ask your vet about cyproheptadine.

You need to act now. Please keep us updated with developments and ask any and all questions you can think of. We'll do anything we can to help.

Mogs

EDITED TO ADD:

If push comes to shove, you should ask your vet about the possibility of giving Jake a feeding tube to help him get through this difficult time. I'd definitely look to discuss all options, especially as Jake's liver is having problems at the moment.

SpecklesandMe and Sharon14 like this.
  6. Critter Mom

Hi Veronica,

Just checking in to see how Jake and yourself are doing. Please let us know when you can.

:bighug:

Mogs

Sharon14 likes this.
  7. SpecklesandMe

SpecklesandMe Member

Yes please keep us posted! Sending lots of healing vines.

Sharon14 and Critter Mom like this.
  8. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Doesn't look like she's been back since posting... :(

9. Critter Mom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.