? Liver Function Support?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sev, Jan 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sev

Sev Well-Known Member

Hey folks.
    I posted a few weeks back concerning CBD oil and my kitty Silky.

A couple of weeks ago I had to fish him out of my neighbors shed after flushing him out from onder the hood of 1970's Chevy and then out from under 57 Belair.
    When I got him home he was hungry. He would not touch the meat that I grind.
    He proceeded to get sick right after eating the FreshPet.
    This happened repeatedy all night long. However as the night progressed the time between eating and getting sick lengthend.
    By morning he stopped getting sick after eating.
    His ears were cool and his nose moist and cool the entire time.
    Silky still would not touch the meat. This went on for about a week. A nibble here and a nibble there on the meat.

So I decided to start keeping him inside. I have 2 large cat boxes for the 4 cats. They are actually low wall toats that cat litter bags with fit in.
    Since I would not let him out. Silky would occasionally pee on the floor. I got concerned about a urinary track infection. Turned out it is just behavioral. He goes in the box fine any other time of the day.

Last week I took him in for a urinalysis. He had some protien in his urine. I followed it up with blood test.
    His ALT(SGPT) was elevated at 178 IU/l
    And his Neutrophils were a little low.

I have a pretty good relationship with the Dr. Young. We discussed the matter. He was of the opinon the Neutrophils was a red hearing and not a concern.
    He also felt that the elevated ALT was also not a concern as it was still below the 100% and higher threshold.

I brought up milkthistle which it turns out he was about to suggest.

Now the people I get the CBD oil from also carry organic powdered and liquid milk thistle.
    While we were talking they brought up another product that contains either spearmint or peppermint oil and lemon oil. It was not essential oils. They said that they have customers that are using for support for their cats.

On the first. I am leaning towards the liquid milkthistle. Easy to apply to the food. However I am not sure what dosage I should use.
    I actually wanted to add to the food recipe for all the cats.
    Any advice there would be appreciated.

On the oils. My radar is up on that.
    They are not essential oils. But regular oil in a tincture of sorts.
    Please advise if you can.

Thank you. :)

2. Sev

Sev Well-Known Member

The product is MCT-C8

3. Sev

Sev Well-Known Member

Nobody has ever used milk thistle or MCT-8?

4. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

5. Sylvie

Sylvie Member

glad you are keeping kitty inside now, sounds like all the vomiting may of been from getting into something toxic in them cars, which could explain why his liver ALT is up, takes time for the liver to heal itself so ALT being slightly higher weeks after vomiting episode would be normal.

i do not use the MCT-8 or any product that has any peppermint/lemon/etc anything in it on my cats at all, essential oil or not.. i do use milk thistle but, i prefer to use pet versions made by reputable pet companies, although i have used the vitamin shoppe's organic milk thislte extract in past with no issues. Currently i am using herbal vet for powder form until i run out and Pet wellbeing in liquid form for cats that don't like the powder. personally, i like using the liquid form best, easier to just add a couple drops in cat's mouths to me and you can make sure they get their full dose that way. with the pet wellbeing liquid one, dosage is 1 drop per lb. one of my cat's don't like taste so i put his 1/2 ml dose in a #2 capsule.

not sure what you mean by adding to food recipe, do you mean adding it as an ingredient in a recipe or adding into recipe when it is in their food dish? I wouldn't add it to the whole recipe itself, may degrade the milk thistle before food is even served but, not really sure about that one. if your cat eats all his food in one sitting, adding to food works but, if your 4 cats are like ours, making sure each get their full dose when mixing it into their dishes and don't eat any other cat's food is almost impossible. you don't want them to get too much milk thistle, it can make them nauseated and their appetite will definitely dwindle down from that.

pet wellbeing
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CB574LE/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

herbal vet
    https://smile.amazon.com/d/Pet-Supp...1467&sr=8-7&keywords=milk+thistle+powder&th=1

6. Sev

Sev Well-Known Member

I am probably going to go with the liquid.
    I was talking to the owner of an organic health food store. She is looking into milk thistle produced specifically for felines.
    I am going to check in with her shortly.

Yes was thinking of adding it Doctor Piersons recipe as an ingredient. However I am not sure of how it would react to freezing.
    Also the amount need might prohibitive.

1 drop per lb? I suppose that would also depend on the concentration as well.

I'll look into the products you and Larry have listed.

7. Sev

Sev Well-Known Member

From Pet Wellbeing.
    It if tastes like bacon. It has to be good. :)

We know animals can be finicky! Milk Thistle is enhanced with delicious natural bacon flavor. We recommend administration of the drops in a way that your cat will like best.

Sylvie likes this.
  8. Sev

Sev Well-Known Member

Anybody familiar with Animal Essentials?
    It is organic.

However. It has grain alcohol.

https://www.onlynaturalpet.com/products/Animal-Essentials-Milk-Thistle-Herbal-Extract/148069.aspx

Active Ingredients (Liquid)- Milk Thistle seed extract * 1:4....250mg, Silymarin 30 mg

*certified organic herbs

Inactive ingredients- Vegetable glycerin USP, distilled water, grain alcohol 40% by volume.

Active Ingredients (Capsules)- Milk Thistle, Silymarin

Inactive ingredients- Vegetable gelatin (capsule)

9. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

My internal med vet said elevated ALT by itself is not a concern unless more than double the high normal and then still might not mean anything. He never had a liver problem. I did notice it was often higher during pancreatitis.

10. Sylvie

Sylvie Member

no but, i bought this vibactra product about 3 wks ago thta vet tech recommended and failed to notice it contained 21% grain alcohol and let me tell you, my old man cat sure let me know something was wrong with product when i gave it to him and he started foaming at the mouth and acting like i was killing him! at 40% grain alcohol, i can't imagine it will go over well with most cats, milk thistle is bitter enough as it is. I personally would avoid that milk thistle brand, like whats the point of giving a cat milk thistle for liver issues if the product being used contains traces of something that will harm the liver with regular use, makes no sense to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.