Loki's first curve -- more confused with #s now

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Kelsey R, Nov 18, 2018.

1. Kelsey R

Kelsey R Member

Hello all,
    I was finally able to put together a glucose curve for loki. I need help. He does really well and drops into normal levels after 4 hours, but by 10 hours, he's up in the mid 300s! What's going on? What can I do to keep him from going back up?? I did give him little snacks of fancy feast at each of the glucose checks - he had one can throughout all of the checks and a little DM dry food (~1 tbsp) at the 4 hour mark when he went into double digits.
    Thanks!!

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Congratulations on testing and logging data so soon after diagnosis! :) That green today is a lovely number. The highs after mid cycle could be a rebound from the low or else a boost from the higher carb dry food. It's best to give small snacks of regular low carb wet food if you feel he's dropping low-ish. If he gets down to around 50 you'd want to use high carbs like a little gravy from a gravy style wet food to prop him up. If you don't have any at home try adding a little honey or other sweet syrup to a teaspoon or two of low carb wet food. Best to avoid dry food if at all possible. :)

Kelsey R likes this.
  3. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

I agree with Kris - the dry food is most likely the culprit here. DM dry is very high in carbs and should be avoided. You might see if your vet will take it back - many will if you just say your kitty doesn't like it. Which is true because your kitty's pancreas does not like it. ;) Even in a hypo situation, high carb wet food (or honey or karo mixed into low carb wet food) is much more effective and absorbs more quickly which is what you want at a time like that.

Loki started to have a really good cycle today with that 85. That's exactly the kind of number you want to see. So yay for a nice safe green! Hopefully he'll get lots more of those going forward!

And really great job getting a curve done! You really are doing great with your signature set up, spreadsheet going, home testing....well done!

I just noticed that your signature says Loki is mix SHD and Bengal. I have one of those too! Not my diabetic though - my other cat. He has the DSH look, the bengal coat texture, meow, and temperament. From your picture, it looks like Loki might have the silky coat as well!

Kelsey R likes this.
  4. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

I just wanted to mention that the numbers are going to head up by the end of a curve. I am not saying they should necessarily head up as much or as soon as Loki's did - the others have commented on the impact of the dry food - but I did not want to take for granted that you know that they will head up. :) With a 'normal' curve, you will see the numbers start to come down once the insulin begins to have an impact (onset), then it will reach it's lowest point (nadir) and begin to rise. The highest numbers will be at your pre-shot times because that is when the insulin has pretty much worn off.

85 was a very nice number. I know that when you are new to this you get scared pretty easily, but try to fight the urge to start steering the numbers up before they have gotten low enough for concern. One option when you got that number would have been to test in an hour rather than two so that if Loki was going even lower, you would see it. Then, as Kris mentioned, you want to start with just giving some regular food rather than jumping to higher carbs. Over time, you will learn the impact of various carbs level and when to intervene and how much.

You are off to a great start!

Kelsey R and Djamila like this.
  5. Kelsey R

Kelsey R Member

Thank you! I love that Loki finally got into the green, and I do understand that a curve will go back up, I just really wanted it to not go up so much! I want him off the juice already! (Lol, I'm not impatient, am I? :joyful:) I hope they'll let me return that bag of food. If not, do you know if any organizations or people that would be interested in an opened (but 98% full) bag of DM dry food?? I'd hate for it to go to waste.

@Djamila, we're pretty sure there's some bengal in there. He is a BIG BOY, as in he wears a medium dog harness. His coat used to be incredibly silky, he's gotten a bit of dandruff in the past few years that has taken away from it a bit. He also has the tiger stripes when he's in the sun! And by god, the personality in that cat! He wasn't named Loki for nothing! He loves knocking glasses over - only when I'm looking directly at him though, he loves messing with his brothers, actually enjoys water and bath time, eating any flowers or plants we have in the house, he's gotten stuck inside my bed frame, took off after a neighbors rooster (just to discover that they're big and have claws, and has a robust vocal range! :cat:

6. Djamila

Oh yes, that definitely sounds like a Bengal! My guy was sent to the shelter by three different families before I adopted him! He can be a bit of a handful sometimes. I adore him though, and he's a perfect companion for Sam who was semi-feral and needed a friend who could stand up to him! I can just imagine chasing the Rooster! :joyful: I assume he was okay after that little encounter?

Definitely time to get out your patience pants, my dear Kelsey. Remission can take months (if it happens at all). If that is your goal, get rid of every last bit of that kibble right now! You'd be amazed at how much damage a single piece can cause for a sensitive kitty. I really wish vets would do a little reading and stop selling that stuff!

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  7. Kelsey R

Kelsey R Member

@Djamila, haha patience pants! Certainly doesn't sound like something I would ever put on. I am a crazy, planner, type A, control freak. Sounds like Loki are both going to have our uphill battles with this diagnosis. Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE a remission, but as long as he's a happy and healthy(ish) guy, I'll be happy!

And yes, he survived unscathed. He quickly realized how big the bird was and took refuge on patio furniture! One of the funniest experiences of my life. I had a video of him stalking the rooster (and then stalking away), but it was a very old school flip phone, so who knows where that is now. But, I do have these gems below! :joyful:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Kris & Teasel and Djamila like this.
  8. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

That's a pretty rooster (and cat).

9. Djamila

That is a beautiful rooster -- and Loki looks very panther like up there! Great pictures! I always love when people post pics of their kitties on here. It helps to get to know them beyond just their spreadsheets and health conditions!