Long time lurker for my buddy Simon

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Randymac, Feb 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Randymac

Randymac New Member

New to Forum but not Feline Diabetes. It's been around a year and a half now that Simon (Siamese) has been diagnosed. He is 11 years old and he has been deteriorating the last several months. He is eating and drinking but he is noticeably frail. He is on 4-5 units of Lantus twice a day. Eats FF grilled as opposed to classic (vet's recommendation). I am doing a BC today and it's been in the high 3's and 4s.

I've taken him to our local vet and then to an Internality at Angel's in Waltham Mass. I now have him back at the local vet. He stresses out when he goes to the vet so I try not to bring him as much plus we don't have pet insurance! With all the complications, tests and having his teeth removed, it has cost us well over $7000. I am reaching out to keep in contact with you all. He is not only my buddy but he is my girlfriends child. We will do whatever it takes to get him better. It just seems like he is not responding to insulin......Lantus or Prozinc.

Thanks for being here,
    Randy

2. Pati

Pati Member

Hi Randy. Welcome. If you have any specific questions post under the main forum Feline Health. You get a lot more eyes on it. There is also an active Lantus forum.
    I'm curious why the vet would want him to eat higher carb food?
    Simon is gorgeous.

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Welcome.
    It is good that you are home testing BG. Can you create a new post in the Health forum and provide the BG values for todays curve?
    That would help us try to figure out what is going on.
    Most of us here test our cat's blood glucose at home using a human meter. We test before each shot and periodically between shots. We record our reading and other info in a spreadsheet. See:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/
    The curve easily allows other to see what is going on

4. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome! As Larry said the spreadsheet will really help us to see what's going on. If you need help setting it up, just ask and someone will be glad to do it for you.
    In the meantime, you can post the curve numbers from today. The Health forum gets more traffic, so start a thread there with your numbers and any other questions you have.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.