Long time reader, first time poster.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Catticus Maximus, May 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Catticus Maximus

Catticus Maximus Member

Hi everyone! My name is Tanya and my cat's name is Maximus (aka The Most Interesting Cat in the World). Maximus was diagnosed at the end of October 2015 when I noticed him walking on his hocks. :arghh: I thought he had hurt himself, so waited a few days to see if it got better. I was completely overwhelmed when I got the diagnosis.

At the time, he was getting Hills Perfect Weight (of course, this never caused him to lose weight..) and a token amount of MaxCat wet food. At the time, I also had a roommate with a dog and Maximus would get into the dog kibble. The roommate and dog are now gone, so that's one less worry.

Maximus was put on Caninsulin and at his max dose was getting 3.5 units. I've very slowly switched him to a wet food diet, and he is now getting 1.25 units. :D We've had fairly good results until the past little while - teeth issues have come up. He is going for a dental in just under two weeks.

And oh...about the neuropathy. I've given him Methyl B12 since the beginning of December. Maximus can now walk on his toes again, does stairs pretty well, jumps small heights and runs too. :cat: He still stands on his hocks but I'm not sure how much of that is neuropathy versus atrophy.

I'm glad I had found this board because I wouldn't have known about the dry food versus wet food, nor would I have known about the Methyl B12. :bighug: I just thought it was time to say hello after all these months.

So, hello! :joyful:

Last edited: May 2, 2016
    Sarah Smith, BJM and Critter Mom like this.
  2. Misterbeesmom

Misterbeesmom Well-Known Member

:rolleyes:hi Tanya! hi CM! love his name and what a handsome fella!

its incredibly overwhelming getting this dx I agree. my head still reels and its been 6 months.

mr biddles has had hind leg troubles for months, treated with b12 injections but still not great so we're giving the methyl b12 a try as well. hoping for good results.

3. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hi Tanya welcome to you and Maximus! What a cool looking kitty he is! So glad things are looking up for you both. You didn't say if you are home testing or not, but be aware that after the dental, Maximus' BG's can come down some and he may need another reduction-which would be great news. Keep us posted.

Critter Mom likes this.
  4. Catticus Maximus

Catticus Maximus Member

Yes I should have mentioned that - the vet encouraged the home testing and I do it with the OneTouch Ultra2. I get an AMPS and PMPS every day, and occasional mid cycle tests. I've done curves as well.

I am very glad about the home testing because I once got a PMPS of 13Mmol when at 3.5 units of Caninsulin! I thought I had a bad test so did it again and got ~14Mmol. (Normally pre-shots are 19 to 22). Imagine getting 3.5 units at such a low number? I believe I gave only 1 unit that evening, but that's when we decreased to 2 units as a regular dose.

I'm looking forward to hopefully another reduction after the dental.

Thank you for the welcome, ladies!!

Sarah Smith, Critter Mom and Sharon14 like this.
  5. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Tanya,

Glad to see you taking the plunge and posting to let us know how you've both been getting on. :)

I just love, love, love Maximus' markings! He is one coooooool kitty. :cool:

Welcome to you both!

Mogs

6. hummingcrow

hummingcrow New Member

Maximus is gorgeous! Hello to you, Tanya!

7. scoobydoox

scoobydoox Member

hello and welcome

8. Sarah Smith

Sarah Smith Member

Welocme to you and your gorgeous mancat!

Critter Mom likes this.
  9. Catticus Maximus

Catticus Maximus Member

Thank you everyone! I think he's quite the looker myself. :D

Critter Mom and Sarah Smith like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.