Looking for a comparison chart on PZI/ProZinc/Lantus, etc.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by evakot, Feb 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evakot

evakot Member

Hi,

I'm facing a decision on what insulin to get for my newly diagnosed 8 y.o. male cat.

Does anyone know of a resource that compares the available types with respect to onset, duration of action, peak time, etc. etc.??? Something like a visual chart would be very helpful. Anything like that available?

Thanks,
    Eva

2. Nancy and Cody

Nancy and Cody Well-Known Member

Sorry can't help you on a comparison, but I can tell you a bit about Prozinc. Have you checked out the website at http://www.prozinc.us ? It is very informative, especially if you are just starting this new journey (videos, FAQ's etc).

As you may know, Prozinc is pretty new. It came out in November so not a ton of folks here use it yet.
    It was created for cats only and works similarly to PZI. I'm pretty sure the web site and vet studies describe a gentle insulin, with 2 hours onset, and >12 hr duration, with peak action around +7 hours. One thing you will learn in a hurry however, is that doesn't mean it will act exactly like that in your kitty. Most kitties on prozinc get shots 2x/day.

I like it, but I have never used either of the L's. It is much better for us than Vetsulin was.

Newbie Advice you will get a lot here:
    1.) Learn to test kitty's glucose at home with a human glucometer, (just like a human diabetic does) If you read other posts here you will definitely see why this is SO IMPORTANT. Lots of us will be glad to help. VERY IMPORTANT

2) If you haven't started insulin yet, you would be smart to research LOW CARB food choices before you start insulin, and then recheck his blood glucose at home. Food choices make a huge impact on BG and this will affect how much insulin is appropriate. Do not change things blindly without knowing how to test the BG yourself. Changing food after you start insulin should only be done if you are testing BG, and are home to respond to a very low BG (hypo). In general, you will do best avoiding all dry food, but there is a lot more than that, go read...

3) Before you start insulin, it would be smart to post about your vets instructions, to run it past some of the old timers here.

4) come back with questions- you will have them! ;-)

3. Gia and Quirk

Gia and Quirk Member

Comparative information is available in the pet diabetes wiki. Information on ProZinc may not be posted yet as it is relatively new.

To make your own comparisons visit each of the Insulin Support Groups here.

4. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

The wiki that Gia referred to is here. There are separate pages for the various insulins. This is the page for Lantus. You will see the frame on the right side of that page that shows the characteristics of Lantus.

5. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

Hi,

looks like most of your questions have been answered.

I don't know anything about the new insulin Prozinc, but just wanted to say that in terms of numbers on this board, Lantus seems to be showing the highest remission rates in kitties.

I do acknowledge that this could be due to the number of people using it, but I'm also an advocate if something isn't broke don't fix it!
    The only insulin I would definitely advise you to steer well clear of is Vetsulin/Caninsulin.

The company that makes this has advised vets to transition cats to other insulins as it has problems with it's specifications right now and can't guarantee,onset, peak and duration times-resulting in the possibility of cats having hypo's.

The FDA have also put a warning out about it, but we are finding quite a few vets that somehow haven't heard of this.
    If you want more info (especially for your vet) it is onthe Vetsulin insulin support group page.

Likewise info on all the different insulins used here are at the top of the various groups.

Good luck :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.