looking for a diabetic-friendly vet in the Houston area

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by jenbro, Jan 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jenbro

jenbro New Member

... well, preferably the Sugar Land, TX area, though I'm open to suggestions.

My little Reese (7 years old) was just diagnosed, though from what I've read online thus far, I don't think his current vet is too well versed in feline diabetes. And, as I'm operating on a tight budget, would prefer someone who is supportive of home testing and does not immediately mandate 2 shots a day for the rest of his life.

I have already changed him over to a low carb diet of wellness core in cans and he seems to be responding exceedingly well. However, I want him to get better ASAP and know that this requires insulin, though I would like to start out slow with once a day and gradually increase the dose while working with a vet who takes both his interests as well as my financial concerns to heart.

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions you can provide.

2. Cyn and Cosmo

Cyn and Cosmo Member

Hi Jen,
    I am sorry to say that whether your cat requires 2 shots a day for the rest of his life... may not be something a vet can control.
    You might want to go through your area's yellow pages, and call vets. Ask them what kind of experience they have treating feline diabetes.
    What food would they suggest? Have they heard of hometesting? What insulins do they prefer to work with?

The thing is... Even if a vet didn't know about hometesting or lantus (the insulin my cat used), I would still consider them, so long as they had an open mind and didn't insist that I bring my cat in for curves every week. Are they open to considering the information you have? Would they just insist on their way or the highway?

3. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

Hi Jenbro, and welcome to FDMB

Glad to see you're changing the diet.

We do have several members in Houston area, and there is a good vet that was recommended but i don't remember who.

(I live in Michigan, but my sister is in Houston near Sugar Land, so the thread/discussion caught my attention)

At least two of the Texas FDMB folks are on Facebook, so I'll send them a note there...

Starting insulin is a good plan, but cats do need 2 shots per day - insulin just metabolizes too quickly.

phoebe

4. Pam and Layla

Pam and Layla Member

Welcome to the FDMB.

I'm far NW, but I do have the best vet on the planet. We do have other members in the area so will see if anyone has a suggestion near you. I would probably drive a long distance to see my current vet, but, for the most part it is more practical to find someone nearby.

What type of treatment did your vet suggest for Reese?

What is it about the plan that makes you concerned?

My vet is in Spring but if you are interested please send a private message to me.

Best,
    Pam & Layla

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.