LOOKING FOR ANSWERS

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by ASD, Dec 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ASD

ASD New Member

Hi i just joined and i amloking for answers i have a 8.5 yr old male grey tabby named Farkus hes diabetic I have a fantastic vet who is doing all sh can but nothing seems to be working we'vea raised his insulin as his BG is Always high last check at home was 29.4 (I check him myself at home) and he is currently at 9 units in the am and 8 in the evening and he has rather severe neuropathy in his hind legs that seems to be worsening we just got results from a blood test confirming he is NOT insulin resistant what.else should we be looking at I am planing ongoing to a raw diet this week in the hopes it can help any help or info would be greatly appreciated

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Please repost on the main health forum and add the following info:
    • when he was diagnosed
    • any other health issues he has
    • what food you have been feeding him
    • what insulin you are using
    • what dose you give and how often
    • whether you test his blood glucose at home.
    Welcome to the best place you'll find for excellent advice and support! I've asked for the info listed above because people will be able to address your concerns right away if they know what's going on now.

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

It is good that you are home testing.Besides the questions raised by Kris, can you provide some BG values with the 9/8 unit dose. The BG should be those taken be for shot and then periodically between shots.

Most of us here test our cat's blood glucose at home using a human meter. We test before each shot and periodically between shots. We record our reading and other info in a spreadsheet. See:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/
    The spreadsheet make it easy for other her to see what is going on.

Please provide this information in the Health forum
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/feline-health-the-main-forum.28/

4. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

You said Farkus was tested for resistance. Was he tested for Acromegaly which is also requires a high dose of insulin?

For the neuropathy giving Methylcobalamin works very well and does take time it see results. I'm thinking your not in the U.S. so don't know if you can get this but you might find a compatible one.

http://www.ilifelink.com/zobaline-for_diabetic_cats-3_mg_x_60_tablets.html

Once the glucose gets better the neuropathy will subside,use the above in the meantime.

5. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi ASD, and welcome to you and your kitty.

In addition to the info requested by Kris above, could you let us know:

- what dose Farkus was started on.

- the increments by which the dose was increased (quarter / half / whole units, or even larger increments?).

- how quickly the dose increases were made since diagnosis.

- what is the lowest BG Farkus gets on his current dose (nadir).

- how many hours after the injection was given does Farkus' BG get to its lowest point in the cycle.

Mogs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.