Looking for cat sitter — Greenwich CT

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Hannah&KittyMae, Jan 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hannah&KittyMae

Hannah&KittyMae New Member

Hi. My cat Kitty Mae was diagnosed with diabetes on 12/21 so I am 2 weeks in to this challenge. She is 13 years old and really cute. I also have another cat, Louie, who is 12. Since the diagnosis, I have changed over their diet to all canned food twice a day. Prior to the diabetes they received 1/2 can of canned food at night and had dry food available during the day. I'm feeling pretty comfortable with giving the insulin, Lantus, and Kitty Mae is doing so much better since she was diagnosed. I haven't started at home testing but plan to start once I return from my business trip next week.

I am looking for a cat sitter that can provide care for my two cats while I am traveling for business. I am starting a new job on Monday and don't yet know how often I will need to travel, but I suspect that it will be at least once a month. Since she was diagnosed and I know I have this trip next week I have been looking for a cat sitter, but have had no luck. I tried care.com but all the responses are folks that take care of dogs or live too far from me. My vet has no recommendation as they have boarding facilities and I would prefer not to board her if it is not necessary. I've got my trip covered but am looking to establish a relationship with someone that can care for my cats. Anyone have any suggestions on how to find a cat sitter? I live in Greenwich CT.

I also have a question about eating -- my cats were free grazers when they were eating dry food. Now that I switched them to 100% low carb canned, I feed them twice a day but they do not eat the entire potion in a single sitting. I make sure that Kitty Mae eats enough food, this is easy as she is a bit of a chow hound, before giving her the shot. She then comes back to her food bowl an hour or so later to eat what is left. Once the food is gone they do not get anymore food until the next time Kitty Mae is due to get a shot -- 12 hours later. The food is normally finished within 3 hours of the initial feeding. My vet's suggestion is that I feed and then pick up the food after 20 minutes or so. Is it OK that she eats again after I've given her the shot? I'm concerned with her eating after the shot but need to ensure that they are eating enough food per day.

I put this in this in the wrong forum. Will repost in the right place

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
    Reason for edit: wrong forum
  2. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

Check with your vet's techs to see if they may be interested in taking care of your cat while you are gone. Also add your location in your title. We may have members in your area that can help or at least give you some recommendations.

3. Hannah&KittyMae

Hannah&KittyMae New Member

I spoke with the vet techs and they are unable to take side jobs as the vet has boarding facilities

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.