Looking for Dosing(Lantus) and Testing Advice

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Beck, Jun 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beck

Beck Member

Pepper has been on Lantus now for a couple of months. Overall her numbers are lower, but she's still consistently hitting in the 300s when testing for preshot(over 400 if she got into the other cats dry food). While she does look and act incredibly healthy now, I'm worried about the long term damage of these numbers. Luckily she has never shown ketones(I've been forgetting to add those tests to the chart).

It does seem her numbers jump all over the place depending on when she eats. I could admittedly be more consistent with inbetween feeding times. Quantity is a bit more tricky since I'm feeding 4 cats.

Her insulin spreadsheet is more sparse than I'd like. Pepper is a very smart cat. She is content to tolerate 2 tests a day. Whenever I've tried 3 tests, it's almost like she'll threaten to run/hide. While I might be able to bribe a third test out of her sometimes, I don't know if I can get a curve throughout the day without her holding that distrust for weeks to come.

Sorry this is getting a bit lengthy, but let me see if I can minimize it to a few questions.

1. Is there any advice that can be given for her dosage at the moment?(I understand if there isn't enough data right now)

2. If I can only get 2-3 tests out of Pepper a day, what are the best times to check? I'm usually around all day, most days. So that's why I'm especially lax on the AMPS testing. Pre-shot testing is also the only time she seems to be fairly consistent in numbers.

3. What kind of eating schedule should a diabetic cat be on?

4. Not so diabetic question. Does anyone else have cats that pout(ie. chewing on loud materials, knocking things over, etc.) when they're not fed as frequently as they like? How do you cope?

Thanks in advance to any who read through that. Any advice is appreciated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.