? Looking for feedback on numbers, etc

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Peacock, Apr 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peacock

Peacock Member

Hi, I am new to posting, but have been reading up as much as possible. I created a spreadsheet for Peacock, who we are fostering-to-adopt, and am hoping to get guidance on strategy, starting with: can you guys see the spreadsheet, as I am not sure if I shared it properly?

Goal #1 was to get her regulated after bringing her home from the shelter, and to establish a consistent dose. We got her down from an average of around BG 400 at 4u (U100) of ProZinc, mainly by adjusting her diet. She is now averaging BG 200 and .5U, so that seems like mission accomplished.

But, since Peacock's pre-shot numbers are lining up on the low end of the range the shelter's vet recommended (170-300), I am wondering about next steps. If she stays around there, should I do a trial at .25U? Or is it time to skip the dose if she is sub-170? In the past she has bounced from skipped shots.

I have not done a curve yet. Her vet is seeing her this morning (in a little over 2 hours) for her first check-up since I brought her home. He advised that I not do a curve until after our first check-up.

Anything I should be asking the vet?

TIA for any guidance. I am going to go try to put the new cat carrier together.

2. Jerry dutchboy

Jerry dutchboy Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome to this fantastic community. I'm very new here so I'm not going to give you any advice or suggestions, I'll leave this to the expert members. You may want to edit your thread title to include a ?. This draws more eyes to your question. Top right hand side of your thread you will find thread tools, drop down will give you an edit button. Click on edit this will show your thread title, in front of the title you will find "no prefix" if you click on this it will give you options. Select ? and be sure to save your changes. The best of luck with Peacock and again welcome.

Peacock likes this.
  3. BBelshan

BBelshan Member

I did click on the spreadsheet and it said access denied - request permission, so you might be missing a step in regards to sharing it. You may also want to post on the Prozinc forum for more specific advice for that insulin if you haven't already. Great job getting her regulated, hope you can get the help you need.

Peacock and Jerry dutchboy like this.
  4. Peacock

Peacock Member

Thanks, I have edited the title and the sharing option on the spreadsheet. Hopefully I am fully operational now! :)

eta: I will cross post in ProZinc later today after we get back from the vet. I JUST managed to get the carrier assembled in time for the appt!

Jerry dutchboy and BBelshan like this.
  5. BBelshan

BBelshan Member

I can see the spreadsheet now! Hopefully some veterans can steer you in the right direction.

Peacock likes this.
  6. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

You need to take BG between shots. Doing every two hours (a curve) would be best, But BG at +4, +6 and +8 would be OK. One doses on the lowest BG, not on the preshot BG. Thus before lowering dose I would do some BGs between shots and see if dose needs to be upped or lowered.

I use Levemir and typically shoot with a preshot even below 100. This is based on experience/between shot BGs and slowly working up to shooting so low

Peacock likes this.
  7. Peacock

Peacock Member

Just got back from the vet. He is going to have the staff at his office do a curve tomorrow, and run various other tests while they have her for the day. Based on her numbers, he said we should consider a longer lasting glargine insulin. Looks like that is Lantus, with a single daily dose. I am headed over to read stuff in that forum :bookworm:

Jerry dutchboy likes this.
  8. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

I'm not clear why your vet thinks a change to Lantus will work better.....perhaps hoping for better duration although I'm not seeing that as a problem from what I can glean on your spreadsheet. That said, as Larry mentioned earlier, it's really impossible to determine how well the ProZinc is working without mid cycle testing. If duration is a problem it may improve with a longer lasting insulin like Lantus, but not with once a day dosing. Lantus works best when consistently dosed (same dose) twice daily. While Lantus sometimes lasts a full 24 hours in humans, cats' metabolisms are much faster and it doesn't last 24 hours for them. Essentially with once a day dosing, you will not see any better results and chances are they may get worse by causing a lot of bouncing (highs and lows).

As a side note: While there is no problem adding extra columns to the spreadsheet to keep yourself organized, the different colour coding you have adopted and applied to the different reading ranges is very confusing to those offering assistance here. We use the colour coding on the SS to be able to discern patterns in the BG over time. With a unique personal colour code on the SS it becomes at best very time consuming (every individual BG reading has to be individually looked at and evaluated) and at worst impossible to provide appropriate/safe assistance. I'm not sure why you changed the colour coding on your spreadsheet but having our standard colour coding on the spreadsheet ensures that should you need assistance at any point in the future, we will be able to help you. For that reason I encourage you to change the colour coding back to the original. :)

9. Peacock

Peacock Member

Thanks for the feedback Linda. My color codes on the spreadsheet are based on the colors used by the shelter and vet, and the highlighter colors they use on the logs they maintain there. I have to send my weekly logs to them so they can track her. Since the shelter is still Peacock's legal owner, and they are picking up the vet bills and most other costs, I am following their lead. I understand that it might cause confusion here. I will make a note in my signature so people are aware of the difference.

10. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Well that makes perfect sense. :facepalm: It just looks so much like our sheet I never thought about it being a shelter version. Obviously you can't confuse them when they are still involved. I'm wondering if there is a simple way to solve this hopefully temporary problem (fingers crossed the adoption becomes final!) just in case you ever need some assistance at an off hour for instance. I'm going to explore this a bit and will let you know. I'm thinking we might be able to set up another sheet and have the numbers you plug in on the shelter sheet, automatically populate the xtra sheet with our colour coding. Thinking cap on!
    BTW, Peacock is a beautiful little girl who'd be lucky to have you and you her! Hope the adoption works out! :)

Peacock likes this.
  11. Peacock

Peacock Member

oh, I like the idea of a shadow-sheet that populates from one to the other! I will also look into that.

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
  12. Peacock

Peacock Member

I finally got a duplicate spreadsheet up and running with the FDMB colors. I am holding off on asking for any more help at the moment due to the number of variables we have in play this week: shifting testing/feeding schedule, 2 vet visits (one where he did a curve), new glucometer, etc.

I will do my best to grab as many readings as I can this week and then check in again with the prozinc board after we get settled down again.

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.