looking for help, 15yo diabetic diagnosed

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jennifer K, Mar 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jennifer K

Jennifer K New Member

Good Afternoon everyone, So my 15 year old Siberian Persian Mix has been diagnosed with diabetes, she has always been active and ate regularly. about 6 months ago I noticed she began drinking a lot more water and always hungry so I took her to the vet. The vet told us she has diabetes and had us change her food and give her insulin. So I changed her from Fancy Feast (chicken variety canned) and Friskies Hairball control (dry food) to the prescription Purina Pro Plan Veterinary diet (DM) both canned and dry. As before I left out a little dry food during the day and she gets 1/2 a can in the am and 1/2 a can at night. At first she was getting 4 units 2ce a day of Vetsulin and when I brought her for a follow up 2 months ago they increased it to 6 units in the morning and 5 units at night after she eats since her sugar levels were in the 300's. I am pretty sure this is a little excessive and is doing absolutely nothing. She still drinks like a fish and started missing the litterbox when she pees. I heard that this can be a lot more manageable, it is heartbreaking to see her beg for food when she ate an hour ago.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB.

We strongly encourage folks to home test the blood glucose with an inexpensive human glucometer (see my signature link Glucometer Notes), feed a species appropriate low carb canned or raw diet (see Cat Info), and lobby to get an effective, long lasting insulin for cats (ProZinc, Levemir, Lantus, or BCP PZI).

Too much insulin can look like non enough insulin. It is critical to get blood tests around the nadir, about +4 to +5 hours after the shot of Vetsulin/Caninsulin, to see how low she is going.

Make 1 change at a time so you can determine what effects you are getting.

Jennifer K likes this.
  3. Mitzelplik's Mom

Mitzelplik's Mom Member

Has your kitty been checked for a urinary tract infection? Mine had one when she was first diagnosed. That may be why she's missing her box.

4. Jennifer K

Jennifer K New Member

yes she has been checked for a UTI but that's not it, I've watched her a few times and she will be sleeping and out of seemingly nowhere she will jump up and run for the litter box and its like she almost makes it but misses

5. Jennifer K

Jennifer K New Member

Thank you. Ill start with the blood testing and adjusting her diet and start introducing raw food gradually into her food.

6. Vyktors Mum

Vyktors Mum Well-Known Member

Chances are you will find the vetsulin is not working well for her. It is rarely a good match for cats as it hits very hard and wears off too fast. If your home testing shows this to be the case for your kitty you can request a different type of insulin for her.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.