? ? Looking for Low carb options for Diabetic with IBD /Possible lymphoma

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by CRL, Oct 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CRL

CRL Member

Hi. Charity Rae here looking for some better food options for my Zhoom Boy. He is currently eating Royal Canin Select Protein rabbit (canned wet food) and Amanda and some others on the Lantus board clued me into the fact that this food is 15% carbs, too high. He is supposed to be on a novel protein diet to eliminate food allergies. Before I switched his food he had been throwing up bile pretty much every morning. He rarely throws up now, so I think the novel protein is helping. He did just start having diarrhea and my vet has him on a month of metronidazole. I would like to get him over this diarrhea before introducing a new food, but would appreciate any suggestions on lower carb options for when we are ready to switch. Hopefully that will be soon :)

AmandaE likes this.
  2. Sarah&Soph

Sarah&Soph Member

My IBD and diabetic girl eats Instinct rabbit which is 6% carbs (not the limited diet which is 13%) and it works well for her :cat: It does also contain pork though, so if he’s sensitive to that protein it may not be a good option

AmandaE likes this.
  3. CRL

CRL Member

Thanks Sarah. I will look into that :)

AmandaE likes this.
  4. Mariella & Simba

Mariella & Simba Member

Hi Charity. My kitty Simba is diabetic (diagnosed 8/19), and was diagnosed with IBD about 3 years ago. Ultimately, his IBD was stabilized on a freeze-dried raw diet of rabbit and duck. He eats the food dry, not reconstituted with water. He was still vomiting some, but it had decreased a lot from pre-diagnosis. In May of this year I learned of a hair analysis test to identify food and environmental sensitivities and from it learned that there were other animal proteins he could safely eat, notably chicken, and that actually he was sensitive to duck, which I had been feeding him. I adjusted his diet accordingly, and now he has more variety, and seldom vomits at all. Up until August, when he was diagnosed diabetic, he was still eating the Royal Canin LID rabbit prescription food. Upon his diagnosis I removed that food completely, and searched for low/no protein dry foods. I found Young Again Zero food (zero carbs), and just recently found Wysong Epigen 90, which is 5.5% carbs. He really doesn't like the Young Again, so I give him a small amount of the Wysong daily, as a treat. His favorite treat is Whole Life freeze-dried chicken breast, which is cooked and then freeze dried.

What is disappointing to me, and puzzling, is that his diet for 3 years prior to his diabetes diagnosis was nearly zero carbs, as he ate no canned, only the freeze-dried raw. He never showed any symptoms of diabetes, so we were very surprised. However, he is too fat (16 lbs., should be about 10-11), so I am sure his weight was a factor. He is gradually losing weight now. Many people's cats go into remission by removing high-carb dry food alone, but he was already on a nearly perfect diet for diabetes, since he was eating very little of the Royal Canin dry rabbit.

Good luck with your kitty. I don't have experience with diet for lymphoma. There is a separate message board for it, though, which you might find helpful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.