Looking for new vet in the Boston/Brookline area??

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Blue and Freddies Mom, Jun 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blue and Freddies Mom

Blue and Freddies Mom Member

Hi everyone,

I have been going to Metro Cat in Brookline (Boston border) for the past ten years or so. Although the staff there are very nice and are real cat lovers, they haven't been totally on board with my cats' new diet (would rather I buy their expensive, but junk, prescription food) and home testing. Since I changed their diet and started hometesting (7 months ago) they have been doing really well and the vet rarely sees me (means less $$). I was in today getting blood work done (vet said I should do it every six months). They tried to get me for a $400 bill--$100 of that was for a fructosamine which I had to explain to them was not necessary now that I was home testing and I had just told my vet that my cat's numbers had been consistently good!

We also discussed having a teeth cleaning with the possibility that Blue would have to have one, maybe two, teeth taken out--seems reasonable as he is almost 13 and has never had his teeth cleaned before. However when I asked for an estimate they said $800 to $900. I know that Boston isn't a cheap place but it seems out of control. I can't do that, I need to have my other cats teeth cleaned as some point soon as well!

So, there you have it, that's why I'm looking for a new vet--If any one has any suggestions I would really appreciate it!! Thanks ;-)

2. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

See your PM (private message) inbox.

3. Traci and Boomer

Traci and Boomer Well-Known Member

Cyn and Cosmo go to a vet she really likes at Angel Memorial. I wouldn't think they were cheap, however, being that they're a huge hospital, but you could contact her for his name.

I live in the North Shore which is probably WAY too far for you, but I used to go to the Feline Hospital in Salem to Dr. Ternes. She's nice and she gave my former cat Calvin a dental. I don't remember how much it cost but I don't think it was as high as your vet is. I've been though 2 fatal illnesses with my very young cats over the last 2 years, so I really don't have good feeling towards vets right now...but what about Tufts? That's nearby too. I HATE the feeling of getting ripped off by your vet. Good for you for sticking to what you know is right!

4. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

I'm fortunate in that my vet (in Michigan) will do minor dental work with no sedation if the cat is cooperative (scaling off tartar).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.