Looking for quick advice

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by s4s, Nov 30, 2018.

1. s4s

s4s New Member

Kitten had to fast for 12 hours. We gave him 2.75u of insulin 2 hours ago. Most of it missed and went out.

He normally gets 5.5u

We're going to feed him now that hes back. Should we give him his other 2.75u of insulin?

His BG is regularly 20+, it's only dipped as low as 12 a couple of times

2. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

You may have given a partial furshot but you have no way of knowing how much of the half dose earlier went in. Giving the other half of the dose 2+ hours later would give you 2 nadirs and you'd have an overlap at the end of the cycle if you give the full dose tonight at regular shot time. While you've indicated BG doesn't usually dip below 12, it's difficult to say what the result of giving the other half dose now might be without any data to look at. I'd be inclined to wait till the PM shot and just give usual dose then.
    Why was Kitten fasting?

3. s4s

s4s New Member

Kitten's BG has been difficult to control. The vets think there must be some other cause making him require such a large dose.

Today he was getting blood drawn for a pancreatitis test, so he needed to fast for 12 hours.

I've added his sheet to my signature.

We ended up giving him his other half a dose. I figure even if we shouldn't have, his BG is normally too high for it to do any harm

4. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

There are no readings on your spreadsheet since Nov 24th. I take it you are testing but haven't updated the sheet.

Since you gave the second half dose late, there will be an overlap period at the end of the original 12 hour cycle (12 hours post first half dose) if you shoot the full dose at your regular shot time. While there is a little flexibility in shot times with ProZinc, I would strongly suggest you get a pre-shot BG before you give the PM dose and then test again +2 or +3 post PM shot to make sure the overlap is not causing a more significant drop than usual. I realize Kitten's numbers have been running high but they surprise us and a little changes makes a bigger difference than expected.

5. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

I agree with Linda. I'm very concerned about this. Please make sure to monitor your cat's BG closely tonight. Having a second nadir/duration in play can be unpredictable.

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
  6. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Please do update us when you have a moment! I'm worried too, and I would like to hear how Kitten is doing!