Looks Like (Possible?) CRF For Todd..

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by ToddyTiger, Aug 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ToddyTiger

ToddyTiger Member

We had a so, so night with Todd. I brought him home from the vet and he wanted food, but didn't eat. I syringe fed him half a can of A/D between 5pm and 11 last night. I also bought some meat baby food which he ate a little of last night, and had more of this morning (along with some treats). But overall he looks awful.

I called our vet first thing this morning to see if the blood work was back and when the ultrasound could be done. The ultrasound can't be done until Thursday, though I can take him to another clinic to have it done sooner. Sadly, I just don't have the money to go somewhere else. Our vet is kind enough to take payments on our visits... so we will have to wait. :/

The blood work wasn't good, I guess. They did this same blood work about a month ago and it looked fine, but now it doesn't. She said it looks like Kidney Disease, which I guess is CRF?.. I did get a print out of his blood work if anyone is curious about it. I don't understand what it says..

I guess I don't know if it IS CRF. Because the way she said it, it sounded like he maaaay pull through and it could be something else. I don't know if other illnesses can make lab work look like it's CRF. But it kind of caught me off guard to be honest. She said he is like at moderate CRF or something. I can't remember.. Not end stage, I guess.

I asked her what we should do. She said normally Sub-Q fluids and supplements would help, but since we are doing that already, it doesn't seem to be helping (It's also blazing hot here, which I bet isn't helping). She said I could bring him in and have his blood pressure checked, and if it's high, they can start him on some BP meds today. I asked if giving him actual IV fluids all day would be better and she said yes. She said a few days of being on IV fluids might help a lot. He can stay there all day on fluids and I can bring him home at night. They don't have folks there at night to watch the animals. So that is where he is right now. She said she has had cases where a cat had kidney disease on the lab work and after several days of fluids they ended up being a lot better. So.. I am HOPEFUL.. but I know this isn't good.

My mother is worried that they are giving me false hope. I want to believe he will get better...

What to do now, I just don't know.

Again, if anyone wants to look at the blood work, let me know and I can type it out for ya. It's two pages and I don't know if you'll need all of it or only parts of it.

Also, no Ketones in the urine test.

2. Ann & Scatcats

Ann & Scatcats Well-Known Member

My civie Gustav whom is 15 ½ years old, has always had high creatinin kidney values, for all his life. So for all his 15 ½ years, I've had him on strict diet Hills k/d kidney adapted food, even on dry food. But never have given him IV fluids, subq fluids, and he is just fine. Over the years we have also made several u-sound scans of his kidneys, and it seem to be up to the interpreter, because one said he had small kidneys, another said he had normal sized kidneys. The last u-sound scan though, showed iregularity of the surrounding fibro layers. Perhaps my Gustav is an exception, since he has lived well from the day I got him in 1995 till today 2010.

I wish you and the kitty good luck!

3. ToddyTiger

ToddyTiger Member

I realize that if we can get him stabilized and hopefully eating on his own, that he may have months to years left, but I feel like we are at the end. I just keep breaking down and crying and thinking about the day I found him, and what, if anything, I did or didn't do to cause this to happen to him..

When I found him, it was a hot summer day back in the early 90's. In front of the local grocery store there was little girl with a box full of kittens she was giving away. We were not looking to get a cat. We already had Sylvester.(He passed away last year at age 20) I picked up this little orange fuzzball and he latched onto my shirt and wouldn't let go. he kept crying and nuzzling me. I think my mom is the one that caved in. She said to get in the car with him and wait for her. So I did... He snuggled into me and he was mine. I was a little kid then.. we had just bought the Disney movie The Fox & the Hound that day. I was sitting on the couch with this new baby, watching this movie. I am not sure how many folks have seen this film, but there is a part in the movie where the old woman is bottle feeding the fox cub. She says.. "You're such a toddler. That's what I'll call you, Tod" And that is how he got his name. He was my little baby. I keep thinking about how after my dad died suddenly back in 2002, and my mom needed me to move into an apartment with her to help with bills, that I had three cats at the time and we could only have two.. I had to give Todd away.. He went to my dad's co-worker, and Todd hated it. He was there for a month or so. He wouldn't eat or even come out of the kennel.. finally they called me one day and told me I needed to come get him, he wasn't happy. We hid him at our apartment, but he was happy to be back and so was I. But I still feel bad for putting him through that.. I know he probably doesn't remember that at all though. I feel bad that a week before he started acting sick this last July, I brought home three foster kittens (I kept them in the front guest room, which of course, is the room he really likes). And sadly, we still have the kittens.. (trying to find them homes) So he can't go in the room still. I just keep thinking about all of this and crying. Wishing I had owned a video camera years ago so I could have video taped him, wishing when we did buy one last year, that I video taped him while he was well. I feel awful...

I'll type out his blood work now so folks can look at it. Some things have LOW or HIGH next to them on the lab report, I will add those if they are on the report.

CBC

WBC 9.2
    RBC 9.9
    HGB 12.2
    HCT 35
    MCV 35 (LOW)
    MCH 12.4
    MCHC 35

RBC Morphology Normal

Neutrophils 8188
    Lymphocytes 736 (LOW)
    Monocytes 276
    Eosinophils 0
    Basophils 0
    Platelet Count 444

SUPERCHEM

Total Protein 8.1
    Albumin 3.7
    Globulin 4.4
    A/G Ratio 0.8
    AST (SGOT) 22
    ALT (SGPT) 32
    Alkaline Phosphatase 38
    GGT 4
    Total Bilirubin 0.2
    BUN 70 (HIGH)
    Creatinine 2.4
    BUN/Creatinine ratio 29
    Phosphorus 10.1 (HIGH)
    Glucose 275 (HIGH) (Note that he did not have insulin yesterday when this was taken)

Calcium 10.5
    Magnesium 1.8
    Sodium 140 (LOW)

Potassium 3.1 (LOW)
    Na/K Ratio 45 (HIGH)
    Chloride 93 (LOW)
    Cholesterol 353 (HIGH)
    Triglyceride 319 (HIGH)
    Amylase 1093
    Lipase 27
    CPK 131

T4 0.9

Urinalysis

Color Yellow
    Appearance Cloudy
    Specific Gravity 1.020
    pH 5.5
    Protein 1+ (HIGH)

Glucose-Strip 3+ (HIGH)

Ketones Negative
    Bilirubin Negative
    Occult Blood Trace (HIGH)
    WBC/HPF None
    RBC/HPF None
    Casts/LPF None Seen
    Crystals/HPF None Seen
    Bacteria None Seen
    Epithelial Cells None Seen

Note: I was told we are still waiting on some of the urine stuff, so I assume the None Seen might just mean they are not done with the testing yet(?)

Thoughts?.. ideas?.. Questions I should ask my vet when I pick him up later?..

4. Ann & Scatcats

If it had been a Swedish chart I could have contributed more, now it is a bit different since we don't use the same ranges.

But ... with both BUN and phosphorus high, my thinking about that, is that simply can be the food causing that. To high in protein can cause that.

The kidney crea seemed to be within normal range, also the liver, unless I have misread it.

But what I think, imo, is alarming and looks like heading for DKA is the low sodium and chloride, as well as with the potassium. They need to give him both sodium-chloride and potassium.

The high cholesterol, I wouldn't worry about that. Mine two have had very high cholesterol for years now, and for Simba the diabetic the cholesterol went down when we had gotten the insulin going the right way for him.

Hope some else sees this chart and can answer and help you better.

Ann

5. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

Get a blood pressure reading on Todd. You need to address that low potassium.....vet should already have! Also, phosphorus binder needed.......got to get that number down. ThrivingPets.com is an excellent place to get tasteless binder you just mix in with food. Creat is high end of normal. Also suggest using Pepcid A/C. 1/4 tab once a day. It helps with CRF and vomiting and acid.

6. Jayne & Sweety

Jayne & Sweety Member

Please don't blame yourself, you didn't do anything to cause this...things just happen, we don't always know why. It sounds like you and your orange fuzzball were meant to be together, for however long, and we can all tell you love him very much and care deeply. Don't beat yourself up, you are doing what you can. I'm sure he knows you love him very much.

(((((((((HUGS)))))))))))

7. ToddyTiger

ToddyTiger Member

Re: Looks Like (Possible?) CRF For Todd.. *Update Day 1*

I dropped him off at the vet around 9am this morning. they kept him all day, hooked up to IV fluids.. the fluids had some vitamins, potassium and some other stuff. I picked him up at about 7:30pm. When we got home, I could tell he was better. He was alert, he looked better, he was chatty, no meatloafing around for hours (he likes to meatloaf, but I can tell he is not uncomfortable and meatloafing), he has groomed himself (haven't seen him do that in a few weeks) and overall he seems better. She told me to give NO meds tonight, not even his insulin. They did watch his glucose levels today, so I trust the vet on this. I am supposed to bring him back tomorrow at 7am. He will be there from 7am until 7pm, and then I will bring him home again for the night. I think this will go on for 3 days to a week. Fluids at the vet, home at night. I am ok with this, because he already looks so much better from just one day. He has even had some food on his own!! I am overjoyed!

I did speak with her halfway through the day about the future, based on the lab work. She said that the lab work makes it seem a lot worse than it really is. that did make me feel better. I worry a great deal about things like tumors though. She didn't bring that up, but I am worried about it. She did mention pancreatitis and IBD again though... ultrasound on thursday will show more.

Oh, and his blood pressure was fine. they checked it several times. No meds needed for that.

Anyway.. it sounds hopeful to me.

8. spacey

spacey Member

Has the vet tested your cats blood pressure? My 18 year old cat Cheetah was diagnosed with CRF a year and a half ago. A few months ago her blood pressure got so high her retinas detached, and she is blind now and on BP meds daily. Monitoring BP is critical!

9. spacey

spacey Member

Oops, just read your last post. Just wanted to alert you to what could happen if the BP gets too high ever.

10. ToddyTiger

ToddyTiger Member

Thank you Spacey. Yup, the vet brought that up yesterday morning, so they made sure to test it several times yesterday. I don't know if it was normal or a little high, but she didn't feel he needed any BP meds. So.. *shrug*

I am happy to report that he woke me up at 5:30am and wanted food again, so he had a few nibbles at his dry m/d (I asked the doc if he could have that before I gave it to him) and he ate some wet m/d. Which is amazing, because he actually hates the wet m/d food. I think it's too chewy for him. I know I have a hard time trying to mush it up with a spoon.

Anyway, he slept with me all night. Mostly in the meatloaf position (but I don't think he was in pain. he looked pretty good) and then he snuggled under the covers with me for a couple of hours with his little legs wrapped around mine. <3 He really does look a lot better, even this morning when I took him to the vet.

I will pick him up around 6:30pm tonight and I will report later with an update on how he is doing.

11. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

creatinine not so bad, BUN will be elevated with a high protein diet.

Ditto what Hope said, the Phosphorus needs to come down, and the potassium needs to go up..
    this site has tons of info for you...
    http://www.felinecrf.org

12. ToddyTiger

ToddyTiger Member

Re: Looks Like (Possible?) CRF For Todd.. *UPDATE Day 2*

I dropped Todd off at the vet around 7:30am today. I picked him up at 6:30pm..

The vet and nurse (not our usual vet, she was off today) brought him out to me. They said he seemed stronger today. Not just loafing in the kennel with his head hung low. He was sitting up and moving around. They gave him all of his meds except for the insulin (they did check his BG several times throughout the day) and they gave him the appetite stimulant, because it was due today (every 72 hours). The nurse said they did not syringe feed him today because he ate half a can of m/d and half a can of i/d on his own throughout the day. basically a whole can of food. So that is good news! She gave him some k/d just before I got there, so he didn't eat any. But he did eat a little more m/d when we got home, and a few bites of the dry m/d as well, with some treats.

I must say, he does look A LOT better. He seems rounder (plump, but still a bit boney at the hips) and just better looking overall. However, he seems a bit tired. I suppose he might be, if he had a rough day being at the vet. I woke him out of a pretty sound sleep (and he looked SO comfy) this morning to go to the vet office. So it might just be that, all the people and the poking and stuff might have tuckered him out. I forgot the ask if they had checked his blood pressure at all today. I want to keep an eye on that, just because ya never know.. I'll make sure to ask tomorrow and have them do it.

He is doing something kinda odd tonight. Our bathroom sink stands off the ground about about a foot. So there is kitty space under it. Now, for the 5 years we have lived here, Todd has liked to sleep under there OR if he was scared of something, he would hide under there, because it's hard to reach him. He has walked in there three times in the last 2 and a half hours. He goes under for a moment with his head sticking out, but them he comes back out. I can't tell if he wants to be under there just because he likes it, but it's uncomfortable to him OR if he is doing it because he is scared of something?.. I actually haven't seen him go under there in a couple of months, so I wonder if I should be worried or not?..

He seems ok, though the arm twitch he was having seems a bit worse, but that too could be just me imagining it as worse, because his over all look is WAY better than it has been.

he is alert and seems to be alright otherwise. I guess we will see how he does tonight. I am supposed to give him his potassium pill and a Pepcid tonight before bed. He's gonna hate that. I take him back tomorrow morning at 7am for more fluids and treatment. Thursday is the ultrasound where we get to find out what is wrong. I am so, so nervous that it's not gonna be good news. They did see something in the Xray, but they are not sure what it is.. could be IBD, tumor or anything. They are also gonna recheck his BUN and potassium either tomorrow or Thursday. SO SO NERVOUS!!

Anyway.. lots of good thoughts for Toddy tonight please!! <3

Thank you all!

13. ToddyTiger

ToddyTiger Member

Noticed something..

First, Todd has eaten a lot this evening, which is great! Both dry and wet food.

But.. he is drinking SO much water. I have water dishes ALL over my house. One in the kitchen, two in the living room, one in the hallway, one in my bedroom and a water fountain in the dining area..

He has gone to drink water at least 20+ times since he has been home, and those are just the times I have witnessed. I know with Diabetes, that will make him drink water a lot more... but the last few days he has REALLY been drinking a lot of water. Even after being on IV fluids for 10 hours a day. Also, after he drinks, his mouth and chin are soaking wet.. it doesn't look like he is having problems drinking the water. I am of course concerned with the increase and the water all over his mouth/chin. Should I be worried?..

Also, I got a print out of the labwork they did on July 11th this year. Just to compare, not that I know a darn thing about it. but I thought I would share the findings here, in case anyone has a thought on it. I am only gonna do the kidney stuff and such, not the whole lab report.

Lab Work from July 11th 2010

BUN: 36
    Creatinine: 1.4
    Potassium: 3.2 (LOW)
    Phosphorus: 4.9

Lab Work from Aug 16th 2010

BUN: 70
    Creatinine: 2.4
    Potassium: 3.1 (LOW)
    Phosphorus: 10.1 (HIGH)

I just find it so odd that within a month, his kidney function just went all crazy like that. I mean.. I wonder if it is possible that because he was so dehydrated and his potassium and such are out of whack, that once he is on the mends, the kidney stuff might look better on the next lab report?.. I don't know how all of this works, so I suppose that is just wishful thinking.

Sarah

14. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Sarah, are you home testing and if so, what are Todd's numbers? Please get some phosphate binders going and get that phosphorus level down and keep a good eye on his potassium level.

15. ToddyTiger

ToddyTiger Member

Hope,

I am home testing. On average is numbers have been roughly 250 with half a unit of insulin twice a day, and in the 300's without insulin. Keep in mind that he has not been eating well and I have been feeding whatever he will eat sometimes (as the vet said to do). When I picked Todd up from the vet yesterday, the Dr. told me they checked his BG several times and it was in the 200's. I don't recall the exact number. He did not give insulin.. Todd was without insulin for almost a month (part of July until Aug 4th) and then went back on half unit shots once to twice a day (before July he had been getting 2.5 units twice a day) and the last.. 3-4 days he has had no insulin because he was refusing to eat. On Monday he started eating on his own again.. slowly having more and more each day.

I just dropped him off at the vet. I asked about the water intake last night, since it concerned me greatly that he was drinking water every 5 to 15 minutes, even after 10 hours of IV fluids. By the way, after about 2am (I was in bed watching a movie) he snuggled under the covers with me all night, only getting up once to pee. So his water intake slowed down as the night went on. He also ate close to half a can of m/d before I took him to the vet this morning. Anyway.. the vet said the water intake is probably the Diabetes, and as he starts to feel better and eat more, he is going to feel more thirsty. He said they will check it this morning and probably be giving the Lantus. So hopefully that will help. He didn't seem concerned about the water on his mouth/chin.. so maybe that was just because he was sticking his face too far in the water or because he was gulping the water. Not sure. I asked them to please watch his blood pressure today, because I am worried about it (though it was fine two days ago) and to please keep an eye on his weird shoulder twitch, because it looked worse to me last night.

I totally forgot to ask about the phosphorus binders. I just called about it, the doc will call me back in a bit so I can ask him. I don't know if that is something they would have there and would give to him. If they are not giving it or they don't think I should give it, what should I do?.. I don't want to start medicating him without vet consent.. but should I? I know the labwork says the phosphorus is high.. is it possible for that to go down on it's own once he is feeling better, or must he have binders for it? Just curious.

Aside from being kinda tired, I think he is feeling better. Eating more and snuggling more is a good sign to me. Also, it looks like the temps around here are gonna be in the 60's for a few days, so that should help make him feel better. I am still VERY scared about the ultrasound tomorrow. :/

16. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

17. ToddyTiger

ToddyTiger Member

Do you mean the one at the top, the Generic Aluminum Hydroxide Dried Gel Powder (Al(OH)3). (??)

I'll see what the vet says when he calls, since they may have already done this and I just don't know it. But if this is the one recommended by folks, then I will order it. Where do you buy yours?.. I suppose I can just order it from http://thrivingpets.com/

18. ToddyTiger

ToddyTiger Member

19. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Yes, I ordered the powder and then put it in a canning jar with a tight lid. It will come in a plastic bag. It is really just a small amount you mix in with food, everytime he gets new food to eat.

Generic Aluminum Hydroxide Dried Gel Powder (Al(OH)3).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Generic Aluminum Hydroxide Dry Gel Powder (USP) may be purchased from local compounding or hospital pharmacies or via mail order. This is the most convenient binder product because it is tasteless and easy to mix with wet food and even dry food (mix binder and dry food in a plastic baggie and dry food will absorb the binder overnight or slightly warm the dry food in the microwave (5-8 seconds) and then shake the powder with the food in a baggie like shake and bake ... the outer fatty coating of dry food (called digest) softens with warming and will let the powder attach more readily.). The dry gel powder is non-prescriptive but some compounding pharmacies and other vendors may insist upon a veterinary prescription. (Vets may know about liquid-based binders such as Alternagel but many are unaware of the generic aluminum hydroxide gel powder.) For a cat that's going to be on binders for the rest of his or her life, this is most effective and least expensive option. Three brands of aluminum hydroxide dry gel powder are readily available (PCAA, Spectrum and Gallipot) -- others that meets USP standards are acceptable. The USP gel powder contains 300 mg of aluminum hydroxide per 1/4 teaspoon. A minimum of 76.5% of the weight of USP aluminum hydroxide dried gel powder is aluminum hydroxide; thus, a 500 gram tin of the product would contain 382.5 grams of aluminum hydroxide, enough to treat the typical 10 lb. cat for 1-2 years or more (see dosage protocol below).

20. ToddyTiger

ToddyTiger Member

Re: Looks Like (Possible?) CRF For Todd.. *Update Day 3*

WOW.. Today was such a turn around. This morning we ran late to the vet office because he ate almost half a can of m/d before we left and I wanted him to finish it. The vet had him on fluids all day again and he also started him back on the Lantus (he is getting one unit twice a day right now) When I picked him up, the doctor said he was doing even better today. He ate a can and a half of food on his own at the vet and he ate almost half a can more this evening. So all together, he has had over two cans of food today! Which is great, since he wasn't eating anything before.

They pulled some blood and are rechecking the BUN, Creatinine, Potassium and Phosphorus. That report should be in by morning. The vet mentioned that he thinks with the extra fluids and stuff, that the kidney values will go down. I very much hope so! He is also getting the ultrasound done tomorrow. I am so, so nervous about both the lab work and the ultrasound. I am trying to think good thoughts about all of it.

But I have to say, he looks SO GOOD tonight. He's active (He played with the laser pointer!), he is eating on his own, he is plump and hydrated, he seems so much better tonight. Purring, bright eyed and comfortable (though I am sure he still feels yucky.)

I did have the vet check his blood pressure right before we left to come home. he said it was a little high, but it could be because they had just put him into the kennel to go home and then pulled him right back out again ti check the BP. So he is gonna check it again tomorrow. If it's high still, they will give him some meds for it. I also spoke with him about Phosphorus binders. He said it's not a bad idea, but he wants to look at the new lab work and ultrasound before we add anything else.

As for the excessive drinking, he is not drinking nearly as much water tonight as he was last night. So that is a good thing, I think. I bet the insulin this morning helped with that.

But yeah, he seems a lot more comfortable and better tonight. He also had a BM earlier, which made me happy. I haven't seen him have one in a week. OH.. and he is also grooming himself! He got really into grooming his face and.. uhh.. man area, earlier. He hasn't been grooming himself at all for a few weeks.

So keep thinking lots of good, healing thoughts for my Toddy. Thank you all! <3

21. ToddyTiger

ToddyTiger Member

Re: Looks Like (Possible?) CRF For Todd..*Day 4 Morning*

I was up until about 2am watching a movie in bed with Todd. He seemed so much more comfortable. No meatloafing, not shifting a whole bunch. He snuggled under the covers with me, ate some treats and purred. He was super happy. He woke me up a couple hours later wanting food, so I gave him more wet food. Since coming home yesterday evening, he has had a can and a half of food. So that means over 3 cans of food since yesterday morning. That may seem like possibly too much, but considering that for two months he has only had maybe three small bites of dry, and one or two little licks of wet food each day.. it's wonderful that he had three 5.5oz cans of food in one day! I am even more surprised that he is eating canned food. He is NOT a canned food kind of cat, so this is great if he can be on a canned food diet now.

I just dropped him off at the vet for the ultrasound and possibly more fluids. Still super nervous, but trying to be positive and upbeat, since he seems so much better. The vet won't be in until 8:30ish, so I won't know the lab results for a bit, and no one knows when the ultrasound doc will be in.

I asked them to please check his BG, blood pressure and weight for me today. I am curious what he weighs now that he is hydrated and been eating more. He was 11.7 on Sunday, I believe. So I hope it has gone up a bit.

Anyway.. more when the lab works comes in and the ultrasound is done. Good thoughts for him, please!! :)

22. housecats4

housecats4 Well-Known Member

Good luck today with the ultra-sound Prayers for good news Hugssssssss kath

23. ToddyTiger

ToddyTiger Member

Re: Looks Like (Possible?) CRF For Todd.. *Update Day 4 Lab Work

Just got a call from the vet. The lab work done yesterday is in and it's good news!!

Labwork done 8/18 **EVERYTHING IS GOING DOWN! YAAY! ( the Potassium is going UP, which is great!!)

BUN: 51
    Creatinine: 2.0
    Potassium: 3.8
    Phosphorus: 4

To compare, here is the labwork done on 8/15

BUN: 70
    Creatinine: 2.4
    Potassium: 3.1 (LOW)
    Phosphorus: 10.1 (HIGH)

I believe he said his blood pressure was 165 to 145(?) I honestly don't know how the numbers work. But he said it isn't bad and he doesn't need meds for it. His BG was in the 300's, so he gave Todd a unit of Lantus.

So this is looking better. Thank God! I prayed so much last night about this. Now we just wait for the ultrasound doctor to arrive and check him out. I hope for more good news after they are done. Please send lots of prayers and healing thoughts for Toddy. I know it's helping!! Thank you all. <3

24. ToddyTiger

ToddyTiger Member

Re: Looks Like (Possible?) CRF For Todd..*Update Day 4*

So, the ultrasound is done and the results are in. I've been in a state of panic all day waiting for this..

NO cancer! Those were the words I wanted to hear. The doctor that did the ultrasound said it looked like part of the Pancreas was inflamed, but healing. So it looks like a VERY bad case of Pancreatitis. The full ultrasound report will be in tomorrow and if anything changes, they will let me know.

I asked them to leave the IV cath in for one more day, in case he needs it tonight or tomorrow, because fluids are important with this. They are having me put him on Hill's i/d for a week, then they want him switched over to the k/d for a while to help with the kidney. We will just keep a close eye on the BG levels during this time.

Also, he is now at 12.2lbs. So he has gone up a bit.

I am overjoyed by this news. I almost started crying when the doctor said no cancer. heh

He needs to get his blood work rechecked next week.

He does seem a bit blah tonight. The doctor called it grumpy. He's probably gonna be a little grumpy this evening because of the ultrasound and all the poking. So I'll let him rest. :)

Thank you all!

25. ToddyTiger

ToddyTiger Member

I thought I would give another update...

Todd has been doing great. (Although today he seems a bit under the weather)

The vet has him eating wet i/d for the moment, to help with his GI issues. Eventually I think she is going to try to switch him to k/d for the kidney issues. He seems to like the i/d though. She also started him on an anti-nausea med called Metoclopramide(?) never heard of it. That was on Friday. They also stopped fluids therapy on Thursday last week. Over the weekend he seemed to be doing really well. Eating very well, alert and active.

I took him back in yesterday for a weight check and general look over. The vet said she thought he looked a lot better. However, he lost a few ounces. He has been up a few, down a few, up a few and then down again. I think it's water weight, to be honest. He gained while on IV fluids, and lost when they were stopped IV fluids. She mentioned that his skin always has that lose thing, where he looks dehydrated. So she didn't think he needed any fluids. I actually think he would benefit from a few more days on IV fluids or possibly even Sub-Q. Because today he seems rather blah again. He ate some of the wet i/d I gave him, but not nearly as much as he was last week. I'm going to drive over later and talk to the vet about more fluids.

Anyway.. He is still alert, but I would like to see him looking better. The vet thinks he may have the start of IBD, so she says if he drops more weight or doesn't gain within the next couple of days, she is going to start him on a steroid. But NOT Pred. She named some over drug that targets the GI and won't mess with the diabetes. I don't recall what it is called though. So we will see..

I actually think he is a little irritated that my husband is home now (Might sound weird, I know) and that we have two foster kittens bouncing around the house. Though he seems to be ignoring the kittens and for the most part, they leave him alone. He doesn't hiss at them or anything. He just looks like a grumpy old man. heh

His medications currently are as follows..

Lantus 1 unit twice a day
    Metoclopramide 1/4 tablet 2-3 times a day
    Mirtazapine 1/4 tablet every 72 hours (just got it yesterday)
    Pepcid AC 1/4 Tablet twice a day
    Buprenorphine 0.25 twice a day
    Tumil-K Potassium tablets 1/2 twice a day

The vet thinks he is just about over the hump of his Pancreatitis. I sure hope so.. I am so, so worried about him. We leave to go out of town on Thursday.. he is going to board at the vet office, however, no one is there at night, so I am worried. I asked the vet if she felt ok with him being alone at night and she said the question is, do I feel ok with it?.. I kinda don't, but I have NO ONE in the Seattle area who can care for him while we are gone over the weekend. I think he will be ok though..

26. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

27. ToddyTiger

ToddyTiger Member

I have seen that website! I am still going through it. there is a lot of helpful info on it. hehe

Thank you!

28. Ann & Scatcats

Simba had a very severe pancreatitis in fall 2007, and we have done several u-sounds since then, but I also have the vet take the fPLI Texas test every time we come in for blood test (once each half-year). In December 09, Simba had 4.4 in fPLI and in May 10 (this year) he had 6 in fPLI. Both are above what it should be, so they count him as a Chronic Pancreatitis. I think the inflammation flares up sometimes, because he usually moans from the pain, but apart from that he has been and is doing well.
    I also had them do a fine needle sample (the right word is?) of the pancreas, where they got cells, since what I also worry about concerning Simba's precious little pancrea, is cancerogenic cells.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.