Loose Lips

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by julie & punkin (ga), Aug 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

Just wanted to share our good news! Our eldest daughter and her husband moved in with us about 6 weeks ago and had their first baby on Monday. So we have a grandson - our first!

He was a big baby, nearly 9lbs. I stayed with them through 27 hours of labor at a birth center, and when it became clear the baby wasn't going anywhere on his own, they went to a hospital and he was born by c-section. Fortunately everyone is doing well!

They came home yesterday and are settling in. This first pic is of him with my pinkie, lol. The newest trend is to not give binkies. I have yet to figure out why sticking a finger in his mouth is better, but grandmas have to keep their mouths shut, you know?! ;)

20160804_192408_resized.jpg
    The cats aren't quite sure what to make of baby! Here is a pic of Frodo checking him out.
    20160805_084957_1470413084445_resized.jpg

Some of you know that we had a washer overflow in early June, ruining floors both upstairs and downstairs. The washer was upstairs, but the water went through the floor vent and dumped into our family room downstairs. It also flooded upstairs, of course. We finally have a new floor downstairs, although everything is still quite a disaster.

The upstairs floors are supposed to be installed next week. Because the flooring upstairs went throughout the main living areas, even though the only parts damaged were the laundry room and the dining room, we have to also replace the living room, kitchen, entry and hallway to the bedrooms. We couldn't get any more of the original bamboo and couldn't find anything to match, so it all has to go. Things have been just a little ridiculous and chaotic at our place all summer! You don't realize how often you throw things in a washing machine until you haven't had one for more than 2 months!!!

Anyway, just sharing my joy and letting you all know why I've been scarce!

Julie

2. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

Julie

[​IMG]

CONGRATULATIONS on the arrival of your first Grandson. Your poor daughter going through all that labour then finally getting the C-section. But she did a great job of presenting a big, healthy, handsome boy.

Give your daughter and son-in-law a big hug from me. They did a great job!!

I hope all the craziness around the house settles down so that you can spend lots of time with your Grandson!!

3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Very exciting!

4. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Congratulations Julie and family! What a little sweetie! Looks like he is gonna be one spoiled little guy! :woot: Good way to get your mind off the house woes! Hope everything gets settled real soon!

5. Kako & Tux

Kako & Tux Well-Known Member

Congratulations Julie and family!
    What a cute boy!!! :bighug:

6. Shelly & Jersey (GA)

Shelly & Jersey (GA) Well-Known Member

((((Julie)))

Thank you so much for sharing with us. I had heard about the upcoming baby and was wondering how you all were. What a beautiful grandson. Congratulations!!!! What's his name?

Sending lots of vines for a smooth and quick "remodel" job! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

7. Doodles & Karen

Doodles & Karen Well-Known Member

Congratulations Julie and glad to hear everyone is doing well. Soo many "new" things when it comes to babies. Enjoy him!

8. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Congrats! I missed ALL your excitement. Interesting about the binkie. My nephews baby has one. Adorable! Enjoy your bundle of joy. So happy for you. :bighug:

9. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Congratulations! What a cutie!!!

10. Shoeskitty-GA

Shoeskitty-GA Well-Known Member

Congratulations on your first grandson!!! He's adorable!! What a time your daughter had! Hope the upcoming repairs are quick and problem less!

11. Vicki and Jerry

Vicki and Jerry Member

Congratulations of your Grandson!! He is adorable!!! I have a three year old grandson, 6 month old twin grandsons and another grandson on the way in December. Boys are special!! On the binkie issue. Daughter let her first born suck his thumb instead of using the binkie. Had a terrible time breaking him of the habit. Her thoughts now is binkie if they want, no thumb since she can take the binkie away and you cant the thumb. We shall see....

12. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

Congratulations Julie on your first grandson! He is adorable!

13. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Wonderful news and congrats! What a cutie! And 9 lbs is nothing to sneeze at! Enjoy that sweet child. The first is so special. Things really have been hectic at your house and I don't know how you are going to manage with a newborn and no washer! Sending get your house back in order vines.

As far as the binkie goes.......my oldest son came out sucking his index finger. We could not get him to take a binkie. He stopped sucking his index finger when he fell and broke his elbow at the age of 8, on the arm of his sucking finger and had to be cast for 3 weeks. Here's the pros and cons about sucking a finger vs a binkie. The binkie has been orthodontically designed to not do damage to the palate. My son had to have a palate expander and orthodontics. BUT, didn't have to worry about the binkie falling out of his mouth and not having water handy to rinse it off and or lost it while traveling. The bottom line, some babies have a strong sucking reflex and it helps to stimulate the brain and soothe them.( some studies show that it increases brain power and my son is very smart) I use to get so mad at people that tried to shame my son when he was older about sucking his finger. My take on it was I would rather straighten his teeth than his mind, LOL. Which ever one you choose or I should say the baby chooses will be the right one for everyone. Sorry, this is a topic that I feel really strong about. :facepalm:

14. Gussie's mom (GA)

Gussie's mom (GA) Well-Known Member

Congratulations! What BEAUTIFUL pictures!
    Just my two cents: I sucked my thumb waaaay longer than anyone in my family was comfortable with, guessing well, past Kindergarten. Maybe that's what enables my brain to comprehend this FD math!;)
    Congratulations again, that is one beautiful baby!! So lucky that you get to spend quality time with him! Lucky Grandma!:bighug::bighug:

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  15. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Aw, love a new baby - even when every item of clothing you own is covered in baby spew (one end or the other). Congratulations granny.

Mine too! He preferred his left index finger to anything else. Could not get him to stop. Then one day, he just did. Loads of orthodontist bills later, he's in grad school with straight teeth.

16. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Love it!!!! My son sucked his right index finger ETA : ( he was right handed) and he was a very creative child so he would sit at the table with paints and paint left handed while sucking his right index finger. ;)

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
    Reason for edit: ETA
  17. Kathy and TiTi

Kathy and TiTi Well-Known Member

new grandparents.jpg grandparents new.jpg

ENJOY!!!!

18. Anne & Zener GA

Anne & Zener GA Well-Known Member

Woohoo! Thanks for sharing your beautiful boy. :) Sorry about the washer ruining the floors, what a hassle...
    Liz

19. elizabeth and gus

elizabeth and gus Well-Known Member

Julie

Congratulations on your first grandson. Enjoy, they grow so fast.

20. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

aww.... he's gorgeous....
    i'm jealous.... i'm not likely to get any grand kids.....

i heard that with my son (24 years ago) and he wouldn't take a binky.... but I remember the first year.... driving and he wanted my finger
    and he was in a sideways jump seat in the back of the little nissan pickup that no longer exist.
    I could reach his mouth and he used me as his pacifier until we made it home for the next bottle.

21. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

Aweeeee--adorable:)

22. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Congratulations. I hope you get your repairs finished soon.

23. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Congratulations!!! So exciting! He's a beautiful little guy!!! :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

24. Julie and Eleanor (GA)

Julie and Eleanor (GA) Well-Known Member

Congratulations!

25. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Congratulations, Julie! He is so beautiful. Enjoy this very special time with Odin image.png image.png image.png

26. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Congrats and have fun with the new grandbaby! He looks very cute. I hope he doesn't wear out your fingers. :)

I feel so bad I didn't offer the use of our washer when you were here earlier this summer. ;) I hope you get a washer soon, especially with a baby in the house.

27. Megan and Boots (GA)

Megan and Boots (GA) Member

So sweet! Congratulations! I hope your fingers survive his infancy

28. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

What a lucky Grandmabean!!

He's a real cutie!!! Enjoy him now....they grow up all too fast!!

29. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

Odin is indeed a doll, and you are very blessed, in spite of the chaos that your home has become. I'm sure you're still on cloud 9.

I sucked my finger until I was about 6 or 7, I think. I remember my parents trying so hard to get me to stop, and I just didn't want to. My dad was in Viet Nam (showing my age) when I was in the first grade, and my mom kept telling me how happy he would be if he came home to find I'd stopped. Guess what? That worked! I stopped the day he came home and never sucked it again. I did end up getting braces in high school, though.

30. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

How lovely.....your first grandson! It is such an exciting time for you.
    He is a beautiful baby and I just love the photo of Frodo checking him out. "what has she brought home this time?" he is saying! :eek:
    Yes, it is true...grandmas do have to keep their mouths shut! Sometimes it is hard but makes for happier families if they do!

31. Marilyn and Polly

Marilyn and Polly Well-Known Member

Congratulations!!!! How exciting. And exhausting. But mostly exciting.

He is such a handsome baby. The hair! His precious little hand holding your little finger. Just a great picture.

Now about the water damage, the washing machine, and the flooring. Not so exciting. Just exasperating. Lots of hopes all gets back together soon.

Marilyn

32. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

Love that pic of frodo and the gorgeous baby

33. Voula

Voula Well-Known Member

Congratulations Julie and family on the birth of your first grandson and many blessings to all of you!

34. Jmeli

Jmeli Member

Congratulation Julie, your grandson is beautiful! I hope you get the house in order soon, what a pain in the butt that has been for you.

35. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

Congratulations!! Such a cutie. My former business partner had a baby last summer... I heard all sorts of interesting new "rules and theories" - but she does use a binky....maybe she hasn't gotten word on the anti-binky rule :p! Every parent falls into the path that works best for them, and I am sure Odin is just pure joy.

36. Michelle and Mannie (GA)

Michelle and Mannie (GA) Well-Known Member

Congratulations!!! What awesome news. LOL on the binkie vs the pinkie. Beyond me too....

Bummer (!!) on the flooding... and the new floors. You have my deepest sympathies. Been there too, and it is never fun. Utter chaos says if well. Hope the repairs go well.

Enjoy Odin. I have no doubts that you will.

37. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

Did you see above yet? His name is Odin. First, middle and last name ends up being 7 syllables - a big name for a little baby!

hahaha and what's the first thing one does after returning home from 10 days of camping? Throw everything in the washer, of course!

Thanks everyone! We are having fun, although the house is certainly feeling a little stretched at the seams. Daughter #2 came home a couple of days ago too for some peace and quiet. That makes 5 adults, 1 baby, 5 cats and one dog. And one floor installer, hammering and sawing away. :eek: Not much peace and quiet here, lol. Our next door neighbors are out of town for a while right now, so they've loaned us a key to use their laundry and to have a retreat as needed. Best. Neighbors. Ever! Daughter #2 is sleeping over there so she can sleep long enough.

The living room, dining room and laundry room are in progress with getting their new floors right now. With any luck at all, by tomorrow evening the washer and dryer will be back in the house. In the meantime, I'm playing the nursemaid, cook and housekeeper, right after I move the furniture for the floor guy. It's a full-time job.

I'm missing seeing everyone on here, but thinking things should settle down in the next couple of days and I'll be back online then.

Shelly & Jersey (GA) likes this.
  38. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome, Odin! And Congratulations, Grandma!! (and to the happy parents). What a beautiful baby he is.

Hope the house stuff gets done soon!

:bighug::bighug::bighug:s to you all,

Ella & Rusty

39. Vyktors Mum

Vyktors Mum Well-Known Member

He's pretty cute considering he doesn't have fur :)

Many congratulations - and very wise on keeping your trap shut lol

40. Tiger(GA) and Ruth

Tiger(GA) and Ruth Well-Known Member

Congrats on your new grandson--he's adorable! Wonderful pictures too!
    Hope the flooring and other work gets done without a hitch, and that things settle down for you!

41. Peg and Toby

Peg and Toby Well-Known Member

Congrats on the new grandbaby. So Cute.

42. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh Julie! What a handsome boy Odin is! The first grandchild is such a special time. Love Frodo checking out that bundle that makes funny noises. :)

BIG YARD DANCE!

43. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Congratulations on your grandson.

44. suki & crystal (GA)

suki & crystal (GA) Well-Known Member

Many congratulations to all the family, and welcome to the world little Odin (not so little at 9lbs!!!) Love the pictures.

Hope order is returned to the chaos soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.