loose stool with blood, then just blood??

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by tuckers mom, Oct 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

Tucker is having a pancreatitis flare, meatloafing, eyes are wide and dilated, just plain cruddy. But, on top of his normal CP stuff he had a very loose stool, almost watery mixed with bright red blood. Another one a bit later all bright red with very little loose stool.

Anyone with experience? At this time of night I have only ER vets and they aren't that good for a chronic kitty like Tucker.

I gave him an injection of pepcid, belly has calmed down. Just gave him an injection for pain and his insulin. Will be giving fluids after his pain meds have chance to absorb.

2. janelle and Nomad

janelle and Nomad Member

Immodium might give some temporary relief.I give my cat a quarter tablet every twelve hours when he has loose stools. The biggest danger is loosing electrolites and dehydration. The blood could be anything from an impacted anal gland to crohn's disease. If kitty doesn't improve by tomorrow I would bring to the ER vet because an IV or antibiotics may be needed. Hope your kitty feels better! :) Jan and Nomad

3. tuckers mom

Thank you. So far no more loose stools, he's just resting.

4. Patti and Merlin

Patti and Merlin Member

hey jen
    will he eat any yogurt. I know when Merlin got bloody stools - it wound up being related to clostridial difficile - in humans it's called C diff - in vets world they called it a clostridial overgrowth. Probiotics which are in yogurt help - he wound up on Flagyl (metronidazole) but this may help in the meantime. It's because the normal balance of bacteria in the gut is out of whack - that is if this is what's causing the problem. Lactobacillus is something else you can get - I think you might be able to buy it OTC. I hope this helps a little!

5. laur+danny+horde

laur+danny+horde Member

That's pretty scary. My first inclination would be to get the cat to the ER, if only to rule out anything obvious like an anal gland issue. Can you look at his bottom to see if you can see anything, or to see if he is unusually tender?

But when I read a few sites on it, it seems that it's not all that unusual and not something super dangerous in many cases. For example, http://www.vetinfo.com/cbloodystools.html says in one of the responses,

"...If [cat] continues to have blood in his stool, it would be best to have him checked by your vet. I don't think I'd panic over this situation
    as long as he seemed to feel OK otherwise. Blood in the stool is common enough in cats that it shouldn't be taken as an automatic sign
    of serious illness all by itself. If signs of depression, blood loss elsewhere, vomiting, or anything else accompany the onset of blood in the stool
    then it would be best to have [cat] checked as soon as possible. The major problem that we worry about with this clinical sign is
    exposure to a warfarin based poison -- these are usually used to kill mice and rats. It is always a good idea to make sure that such
    exposure is unlikely when unusual bleeding is observed. "

give Tucker a gentle kiss for me,
    laur

6. tuckers mom

I never tried yogurt for him before. I'll stop at the grocery first thing tomorrow and get a cup for him to try. He hates having to be on Flagyl, but if his IBD is causing the pancreatitis flare, he may not have a choice.

I've been thinking about adding a probiotic to his diet lately. About three nights ago he started to eat a little less, I didn't know if he's getting used to his steroid dose or getting a belly ache. I guess I have my answer now. Now that I write this I have to wonder if maybe he didn't get enough food one of the times he got his potassium. I know that can cause a belly to hurt.

Laur, I checked his bottom a few times already tonight. No redness or swelling. He thinks I'm annoying! No vomitting either. He's off to the vet in the AM if this continues, but so far it's been a couple of hours and he's just chilling now that his Bupe kicked in for the CP flare. BG is about 200 presently.

Thank you.

7. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

Laurie and Mr Tinkles Well-Known Member

Jen, sorry I have no advice, but I hope Tucker feels better soon! Sending healing vines.

8. Libby & Callie

Libby & Callie Member

Many {{HUGS}} for Tucker! Hopefully it will not be serious. Thinking of you .. Libby and Callie (and civvies: brother Buddy and sister Missy)

Callie's SS
    https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key ... TuVA#gid=0
    Callie 10 yrs old on 9/17/10 dx 6/12/10
    Lantus 2 units BID (U100) since 9/30/10
    HT BG with AlphaTrak & Lancet device
    Wet food only since 9/30/10
    Camp Hill, PA USA

9. janelle and Nomad

janelle and Nomad Member

You may want to have the anal glands checked the next time you are in the vetM there are few external warning signs until the gland ruptures.it then becomes a rather smelly,bloody and expensive mess.two of my cats have had this so I check kitty butts more often now! :)

Unrelated comment: I have seen several other members refer to cats as "civies".does this refer to where you adopted them from or some medical diagnosis?

10. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

Laurie and Mr Tinkles Well-Known Member

Jan, civies is a term we use to refer to non-diabetic cats.

11. janelle and Nomad

janelle and Nomad Member

To Tucker's Mom,I hope he is better today.To Mr. Tinkle's mom, thanks for explaining what "civies" means.I guess it is similiar to military people calling civilians "civies".
    »^^« Jan, Nomad and his civie feline friends

12. Patti and Merlin

Patti and Merlin Member

Jennifer - I should have said - make sure it's NOT the lo fat yogurt but the regular full fat one! Sorry - just reread this and realized I hadn't said that! duh! Hope YOU are doing well dear friend! And give ALL your kitties a big hug. I'll be waiting anxiously for an update! If you have a feed store by you - you might be able to get probiotics there. I also know you can find them thru kv vet but you have to order and wait for them then. Then there is the fortiflora from the vet that you can get. Some of my kitties love it - others won't touch it. those that didn't like it - I put in a capsule and "pilled" them before feeding. I was desperate.

13. tuckers mom

Patti, thank you. We had a rough morning, you'll see pics of him on my facebook status not looking happy under his blanket, but then feeling better after the vet visit. He's got Flagyl for his belly and appetite stimulants so I'm not going to try yogurt just yet, but I do appreciate the clarification on type to get for the future.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.