Loose stools/diarrhea

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by drjsiems, Jul 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drjsiems

drjsiems Member

Can an acidic stomach and/or nausea cause loose stools and/or diarrhea in cats? Jake has been having recurrent loose stools lately, but otherwise seems to be just fine. In addition to being in diabetic remission now for about two months, he is eating about the same and is acting normally with no vomiting. So I am not sure what is going on. Thanks.

Judy & Jake

2. OLM Catnip Cottage

OLM Catnip Cottage Well-Known Member

My experience with our foster cats has been that many do get diarrhea when they are very anxious about situations for a prolonged time (such as coming to an adoptathon event for the day.) After a day at an adoptathon, we have known cats and kittens to come back with diarrhea for a day or two.

There are, however, many other things than can cause this. I've also known that when a formula of a cat food you regularly feed changes, something in it can affect the cat adversely.

Household cleaning scents, prolonged antibiotics are also things we've known to cause diarrhea. And of course, there is always viruses.

3. Jill and Remi

Jill and Remi Member

I am with Maureen, so many things can cause it. Any new food? The most important thing is to make sure he is staying hydrated by doing the skin snap test. it will at least give you an idea.
    Have you thought about adding probiotics to his food? I used acidophilis sprinkled on my cats food and it helped. Hope Jake is better soon or he may have to visit the vet to figure out the cause.

4. drjsiems

drjsiems Member

Yes, Jake gets daily probiotic Proviable added to his food. This is one of the reasons I am surprised about the loose stools lately. There has been no change of food. He does not appear to be dehydrated (scruff and gum tests) and is not pooping more than his usual 2x per day - it's just that the poops are only semi-solid. I am hoping that it is something that will resolve on its own, but will see the vet if it persists. I don't know if this is common for older cats. Thanks for the input.

Judy & Jake

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.