? Loose Stools On Canned Food

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Louellen, Aug 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Louellen

Louellen Member

Wondering if anyone else has noticed an issue with getting kitty onto canned foods and it causing loose stools?

This is the 4th time that I've tried to get Morrigan solely onto canned food and the 4th time that as soon as I get past the 50% (m/d kibble-wet) percentage, she gets bloody, mucus diarrheia. I have had her on Flagyl and it clears it up but, I feed her solely the m/d kibble during these episodes as directed by the vets. Once I clear it up and go back to canned foods, building up again....she goes back to the loose stools and bits of blood and mucus.

I am feeding her Purina Pro Plan Kitten food as it's the ONLY canned food that she'll eat. Not sure if it's that but, I...once again...have to back off of the canned foods and let it clear up.

She won't look at any other brands or types but, in trying this 4 times now and everything else remaining the same, I think this may be Purina Pro Plan related????

Anyone else having this issue of wet food causing loose BMs with blood and mucus (only a tiny bit right now but, I need to get it cleared up again and my usual vet is away on vacation for yet another week...3 weeks in total and I talk to fill-in for fill-in for fill-in vets each time. :mad: :eek:)

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
    Reason for edit: add
  2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

How fast are you changing the food?
    Are you using a probiotic? That may help.
    A teaspoon of plain pumpkin or squash may help, too.

Louellen likes this.
  3. Anitafrnhamer

Anitafrnhamer Member

Blood and mucus in loose stool is typically colitis. Talk to your vet about this. Pumpkin, or psyllium (unflavored) can be helpful. Colitis can be stress induced and may just be the result of all the changes in the daily routine. My younger cat ends up with colitis every time Squeaker has a health crisis.

Louellen and Critter Mom like this.
  4. Louellen

Louellen Member

Thank you both @ BJM and @Anita

There's been no "stress" for Morrigan...I mean...nothing out of the ordinary happening so, I can't see stress as a cause of the colitis.

We had her at the ER clinic 2 Sundays ago now for the same thing and a stool culture done. Negative for parasites etc.. We had her on Metrodinazole (sp?) (Flagyl) for 5 days and solely on m/d kibble. It cleared up within a day or two of being on the med and we continued on with it for the 5 days the full course of treatment and things were good again.

I called our regular clinic where our vet was away and got a fill-in for a fill-in for a fill-in vet. Both she and the ER Clinic vet said to let her get back to normal then, slowly add back the wet food...which we did. They said to keep her on what she was eating (Purina Pro Plan Kitten) but, leave out the freeze dried treats as that was the ONLY new thing we'd had her on. We did.

Now, we were getting back to at the least, 50% of her daily calories being the Purina Pro Plan Kitten again, adding in very SLOWLY until we reached this point again.

The fill-in vet said that *IF* this were to happen again...it's the Purina Pro Plan and to get rid of it from her diet (3 times you're out type of thing).

This is the third time it's happened so, we have to get rid of the Purina Pro Plan for sure now. However... it's the ONLY canned food that she'll eat. Seriously...and even that took a lot of time and effort to find this one make and brand and flavour. :(

This is a bad weekend as it's long weekend up here. Tomorrow, the vets are all closed. That means that not only can't I get in touch with her regular vet but I can't get in touch with any vet outside of an ER clinic and I don't think that's necessary (especially $$$$ wise).

I have read a lot of reviews online where cats are getting this type of thing from Purina Pro Plan products so, it's making me wonder.

I do have some Flagyl left over and will TRY to get some canned pumpkin for her tomorrow at whichever supermarket is open. Unfortunately, there may be none. I will get a couple of doses of the Flagyl into her again starting tonight. She does have her m/d kibble that she loves so, that's going to have to be her food for now.

But, what do you do Anita with the colitis? Do you give meds for it or just the pumpkin?

Please excuse me if I don't answer right away as we are having power fluctuations from a BAD storm right now. I'm hoping not to lose power. If I don't answer...it's only because I've lost power.

I am baffled as I keep making progress but, take 10 steps back! If she wasn't diabetic I'd be a little less concerned but, she is. :( Any further thoughts would help tremendously as I am a worrier.

5. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

I can't remember if you ever tried poached/boiled chicken or not. I'd give Morrigan the M/D and try to supplement it with a bit of plain chicken or turkey if she'll eat it to see if that clears up the problem. Even some scrambled /boiled egg....just something bland. I wouldn't give her any more Flagyl right now. If Pure Plan is the culprit, she doesn't need the antibiotic and the problem will resolve on its own by removing the PP from the menu. If she doesn't improve without the Pure Plan in the mix, then you'll know the Pure Plan is not the problem. Only then would I consider giving Morrigan more antibiotics.

That was quite the light show going on out there! eh? Didn't hear a lot of thunder though!

Louellen likes this.
  6. Louellen

Louellen Member

I was just writing back to you, MrWorfmen'sMom and was going to call you but, looked at the time. If you're still up....you can call me! :) I'm going to be up...as usual! LOL

7. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Call me. I'm still up and I don't want to wake Karl.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.