Lorry

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lorry, Dec 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lorry

Lorry Member

Im new to this Forum, found it while looking for reviews on Young Again cat food for diabetic cats. Mine was just diagnosed today his blood sugar is 475. He has dropped a lot of weight only weighs 7 pounds eating good but I need to know what to change his food to?

2. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to FDMB. Glad you found us but sorry you needed to.

We highly recommend a wet low carb for diabetic cats or any cat for that matter. That said, transitioning a cat used to dry food can take some time and Young Again is one low carb option you can use in the interim. The other is Dr. Elsey's Clean Protein. Both will send you samples so you can try them before you buy big bag.

There is a huge amount of information at https: https://catinfo.org/ about nutrition for cats including tips on transitioning from dry to wet diets, raw diets and a food list to help you select foods appropriate for your extra sweet kitty.

If your kitty has lost a lot of weight you can look for foods that are higher in calories. Diabetics can't process the food they eat properly so they need to eat considerably more to regain lost weight or even just maintain their weight until their BG gets regulated.

Come join us over in the Health Forum with any and all questions

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
  3. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Welcome! Be forewarned that Young Again can cause poop issues... stinky, gross, even diarrhea. Even if it does not at first, you may later get a bag that does. Wet food is so much better for them than dry, but if you need a dry food during the transition, I would recommend Dr. Elsey's Clean Protein Chicken. It has between 4 and 5% carbs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.