Loss of leg functions after Hypo episode?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by CrazyCatLady85, Nov 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CrazyCatLady85

CrazyCatLady85 New Member

So, back in September, Tons of Fun had a very scary hypo episode, resulting in a few days at the vet. His BS was 26 upon check in. I was a wreck. The vet said when he arrived, he was pretty much blind because the BS was so low.

anyway, since getting him home, and working out dosage the last few weeks, his rear legs are not quite 100% working properly. Its difficult to describe, but its almost like he can't feel his lower leg portions to bend the 'ankle' when walking, so he stomps like godzilla. I wondered if the hypo episode caused some sort of brain damage with motor control.

Anyone experience this? Have any advice to help him out?

2. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Does your kitty walk like the kitty in this video? He may have diabetic neuropathy. It is very treatable, with methylcobalamin.

3. ZulusMom (GA)

ZulusMom (GA) Member

It sounds like neuropathy, which is pretty common for unregulated cats. Zulu had/has it. It should improve as your cat becomes regulated on insulin, and methylcobalamin helps a lot (we use zobaline, one pill a day). Zulu still walks a little hunched and won't attempt the jumps that he used to, but it's definitely improved and he's happy enough to get on and off the couch.

4. CrazyCatLady85

CrazyCatLady85 New Member

Yes, Neuropathy - that is the term i couldn't think about.

Thanks for the guidance ladies. Going to look into the methylcobalamin

5. Tanya and Ducia

Tanya and Ducia Well-Known Member

Hi there,

my cat had sever symptomatic Hypo that caused hypoglycemic encephalopathy with BG 22 at the time in ER. She had vision and smell loss which resolved once she recovered. Does it mean she won't have any issues if she is fine now? - hard to tell, the time will answer that question...Encephalopathy is truly a Pandora's box - can cause all kind of issues immediately or later in life - depends on the severity and what areas of the brain were affected the most.

Could it cause your kitty's leg function loss? - maybe. But I think you are dealing with diabetic neuropathy, like Squalliesmom amd Zuluzmom posted above. Many on this Board dealt with it successfully and can help you out.

Some cats become very insulin sensitive after Hypo event and keeping close control on the BG levels is very important not only to pin point the proper dosage but to keep your kitty safe.

I read in some thread to day :
    Is it about same cat?
    Forgive me but if it is so I'd like to discourage you from taking BG testing break... You saw what Hypo does... Don't risk getting there again. There are ways to help cat's ear to bleed and when compared to Hypo frequent testing is just an inconvenience, not potentially deadly situation at all.

:bighug:Best of luck to you!

JeffJ, JanetNJ, Sylvie and 1 other person like this.
  6. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

7. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Agree 200%. Just put a little neosporin on his ears.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.