Lots of fluctuations, not sure what to do

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by SaraBear, Oct 24, 2018.

1. SaraBear

SaraBear New Member

Hi All,

My buddy Rod was diagnosed in May of 2018. We initially started using Novolin N, and switched to wet food only, and he improved, but was not completely regulated. At the end of September his numbers started creeping back up and were often above 400 again. I took him back to the vet and we switched to Prozinc. Somehow, in the switch, I lost all my data for when he was on Novolin :( but my current spreadsheet shows from 9/30 onward, when we started Prozinc.

His numbers are still high and he seems to be bouncing around a lot. He is acting normal and seems more and more feisty like he was before and actually putting on weight (he had lost prior to his diagnosis). I have also noticed less urine in the litterbox. I plan on doing a curve on saturday to get a better idea of how he is doing through the day, but I wondered if you all had any insight, if I should increase the dose, etc. I hope I am not missing anything or doing anything wrong :(

2. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Hi there, Sara, and welcome to Prozinc! I'm so glad to hear that Rod is starting to show some improvement in his symptoms. The best way to tell how a dose is working is getting numbers during the cycle, usually somewhere between +4 and +7 for most cats. If you test at different times on different days, you don't need to do a full curve very often. Although if your work schedule makes that impossible, then curves can be helpful. Are you able to get in a test of two during the cycle? Or if not, is there enough time after his PM dose and before bed to get a +3 or +4?

SaraBear likes this.
  3. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Hi Sara and Rod! I love your kitties name!

More than likely, you'll need to increase insulin a bit faster...you are going fairly slow with the changes. However, I agree with Djamila that we need more data before we can determine that. I know it's tough to get those extra tests in if you're working during the day. I always tried to get mid cycle numbers during the weekends, and then whatever I could during the week. Even a +3 at night is good data! Or if you happen to wake up during the night and run down to get a quick test that can help. I didn't usually do that, but sometimes if I woke up, I'd grab a test on my way back to bed...I recorded it on a piece of paper and then added to my SS later when I was more awake. ;)

SaraBear and Djamila like this.
  4. SaraBear

SaraBear New Member

I was able to get a couple more readings today at +3 and, just now, at +6. Should I increase his dose to 2u today?

Thanks for the help!

5. SaraBear

SaraBear New Member

I also tested for ketones this morning and it was negative.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  6. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

You could increase to 2 u I think. If you're at work in the daytime, increase this evening and get a +2 test to see if he's reacting to it. If you're home in the daytime, increase in the AM, get a +2 and maybe another in the +4 to +7 range. Those extra tests over and above the PS tests are really important in assessing a dose. You need to know how low he's going.

SaraBear and Djamila like this.
  7. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

I agree with what the others have said. Maury's SS was very colourful in the beginning too. Another saying we had on the forum is that the sugar dance is a marathon, not a sprint :bighug:

SaraBear likes this.