Louie

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Louie B, Aug 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Louie B

Louie B Member

Louie is my 14ish yo kitty. He was diagnosed in April and has been very hard to control, even though we caught it early. He also has kidney disease. In June he had a very serious hypoglycemic event when he was temporarily blind. They declared him in remission. A week later he got into a fight and I took him in for an antibiotic. His blood sugar was 300+, so back on insulin. I was gone for a month but had a house sitter look after him. He’s indoor/outdoor, so he’s hard to control. He was a stray and you can’t keep him in. After I returned I took him in for a curve, and they upped him to 1.5 Lantus x/day. Last night his blood sugar was 677! I’ve been taking it at night before his shot, which is fairly traumatic or I’d do it more often. I’m afraid he’s eating all over the neighborhood because he’s so friendly. I had one family tell me that he comes in their pet door and eats! I’ve talked to a few families and asked them not to feed him, but who knows where he goes! I’ve been giving him Vital Essentials dried minnows and duck liver treats, which I am told are both low carb. I feed him wet Tiki Cat, 0 carbs. I worry about him constantly and I feel like he is my 3rd and neediest child. He keeps me up at night prowling the house and meowing, wanting water from the sink and wanting to go out. It’s like having a baby! I like to keep him in at night so he’ll be safe, or else I’d toss him out so I could sleep!

2. Harley Baby & Michele

Harley Baby & Michele Member

Your info did come across. I am sorry you are having a tough time with Louie! How wonderful of you to take care of him given all of your challenges.

When able, can you set up a signature and spreadsheet. You will also find a great deal of help in the Lantus Forum.

3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Welcome

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.