Low AMPS - need advice

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Djamila, Feb 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

I've stalled for 40 minutes now, and he's at 170 (earlier tests were 171 and 165). I'm feeding him now, so hoping someone can chime in quickly with dose advice.

He's been getting 1.75u and his curves are very flat. I can monitor him until +3.5 this morning. Should I give the regular dose? A reduced dose? or skip?

Thanks for your help!

2. Djamila

Anyone around?

3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I wouldn't skip. He doesn't dive very much . Try 1 u?

4. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Sounds good to me. Maybe leave out a snack if you won't be around.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  5. Djamila

Thank you, Kris! I really appreciate your help!

6. Djamila

Thanks, Sue! I'll make sure to get an out the door test in a few hours, and then leave him a snack just in case.

7. Djamila

Definitely not diving. +2.75 is 194.

Since his AM shot was an hour late, should I give his PM shot a bit late also, or is it okay to give it at regular time?

8. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

You can keep to your schedule as long as he is high enough. And rising, not falling. (So it might take 2 tests)

Djamila likes this.
  9. Djamila

So tonight's PMPS was the highest number I've seen (343) which is probably not that surprising since he got a smaller dose this morning. But his +4 tonight is down to 133. Part of me wants to do the happy dance because that's the lowest number he's had, and the biggest drop - so maybe the insulin is working after all. But does that mean he's bouncing? Or going to bounce? And if this is bounciness, what do I do?

Ugh. This whole thing was so much easier last time! I feel totally lost this time.

10. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

He might bounce...but celebrate that the insulin seems to be working! I know it's frustrating, but if it is a bounce, we can help you through it!

Djamila likes this.
  11. Kris & Teasel

That big drop might trigger a bounce. Sometimes you can steer numbers with food early in a cycle to ward off a bounce or at least make it less dramatic but it doesn't always work. The important thing to remember with a bouncy kitty is to put more weight on the low numbers when deciding on a dose because the highs are often inflated by the bouncing. If there's a run of high flat numbers on a dose that gave you a nice low previously, that's prolonged bouncing. Keep on with the same dose until it passes.

Djamila likes this.
  12. Djamila

Thanks, Kris and Rachel! I have an early morning at work, but can run home around +4 to grab a test. He has plenty of food left out for him, so hopefully he'll go eat if he starts to drop. His number this morning was pretty normal (242), so I stuck with the dose he's been getting (1.75u). I'm curious to see if he has another drop, or if we'll be back to his relatively flat pattern.

Is a bounce triggered if the drop is more than 50%, or if it's just a lower number than the cat is accustomed to? Does the normal number this morning indicate that he's not going to bounce? Or do we have to wait another cycle or two to know? I'm sorry for all the questions! Is there a sticky somewhere that explains all of this so I don't have to keep pestering y'all? :)

13. Kris & Teasel

Bouncing can happen when:
    1. BG drops too low
    2. BG drops to a lower than usual number even if not too low
    3. BG drops too quickly even if numbers are high-ish.

Djamila likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.