Low blood glucose reading in remission?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by LeosGotTheBetus, Jun 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeosGotTheBetus

LeosGotTheBetus Member

hello-
    I’m trying to look through different threads but can’t quite find what I’m looking for.
    Leo went into remission a bit ago and since then, I have kept him on friskies pate, 2 or 3 times a day. He eats in smaller portions so by the end of the day he’s had one full can. In addition there’s a small amount of iams dry food underneath, for his sister and small in between bites.
    So I had to go away for 1.5 days and managed to only leave him with only dry food for about 20 hours, and when I came back he was 116. He’s been hovering in the 90s-100s. So I resumed proper feeding schedule and he was around that area again.. and then today 76!!! That’s so low but he hasn’t had insulin in weeks! Is this a bad sign? I’m worried because I need to leave town for another day and a half and he won’t be going too long by himself but I don’t want to trigger his diabetes to come back :/ advice? Can cats go into hypoglycemia even if they’re not on insulin? Is it safe for me to leave for a tiny bit or should I pack him up in the carrier and take him with?
    Any advice is greatly appreciated!
    Thanks all :)

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

76 is a fantastic number. Cats not on insulin cannot hypo. He’s perfectly safe

3. LeosGotTheBetus

LeosGotTheBetus Member

Thanks so much! Do you think I will risk him going back on his remission/what can I do to ensure he stays in remission? I’m still trying to figure this out on my own because my vet and I haven’t even spoken in months, she never told me remission was possible. This website has saved his life on numerous occasions. Thanks so much!

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Just keep feeding low carb food and take care of any health concerns (infections, tooth issues, ect) right away. Hope your cat stays in remission alooooong time.

5. Meeja's Mom

Meeja's Mom New Member

Ditto what Janet said. Also continue your periodic testing to catch any BG increase early.

In addition to infection/tooth issues that Janet mentioned, I've noticed that my cat will occasionally spike a higher reading that coincides with a bout of constipation.

6. LeosGotTheBetus

LeosGotTheBetus Member

Hmm, interesting! He’s been so good, I do know his teeth are definitely not in good condition, I’m a recent grad currently moving and it might be a week or two before I can get him to the vet, also funds are a concern :/ I’m trying my best to be on top of it and test him every few days even though it’s been weeks since he’s had any insulin!

7. Meeja's Mom

Meeja's Mom New Member

As long as Leo's numbers are good (and they are very good!!) and he doesn't seem to be in any pain/discomfort, I'd say there's no immediate rush to get him to the vet. Especially since your funds are limited. My civvie with CKD has bad teeth (resorption, fractures, etc) and a yearly vet visit for dental treatment is over $500, even with our senior discount. Painful for all of us (except maybe the vet!).

8. LeosGotTheBetus

LeosGotTheBetus Member

Yeah that’s my exact concern :/ he’s a good boy, and he’s been acting just lovely! I had one vet tell me he needed a bunch of teeth pulled but my home vet told me they’re all good.. but like I said, I have trouble trusting her after she prescribed 9 units of novalin when his pre shot was 91.... literally I was horrified and completely put off

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.