Low carb cat snacks

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mandy and Bradley, Apr 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mandy and Bradley

Mandy and Bradley Member

I looked at the low-carb cat snacks link, but I didn't see any that I could purchase at PetSmart, or another store around such as Wal-Mart. Are there any brands that PetSmart carries? I'm have to run there today and would like to pick up some.

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

I think you can get DentaFresh at Walmart. PetCo has Pure bites. I bought Bonito flakes in my local pet store - not a chain. Have you seen this list: http://www.felinediabetes.com/low-carb-cat-treats.htm You might just call around first to see what stores carry.

3. Christie & Willie (GA)

Christie & Willie (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi, Leanne! We use purebites chicken treats, but online it doesn't look like Petsmart carries that brand (we get ours at Petco). Petsmart carries freeze dried treats in chicken, salmon or shrimp.

However, I would recommend hitting up the dog treat aisle. You generally get a larger bag for a better price per ounce. You want freeze dried meat, single ingredient treats like these. I just break into smaller bites for Willie. Also, take the bag and use a strainer or colander to sift out the pieces that have been smashed to dust and put in a separate baggie. That dust is great for sprinkling on top of food when you need Basil to eat but he is less than enthusiastic!! Willie likes these Gimborn treats also, though they are crumblier... also good for putting on top of the food bowl. They do have some fruits/veggies in them, but I've seen no BG impact from the treats.

Happy shopping!!

4. Karen & Angus(GA)

Karen & Angus(GA) Member

Petsmart has just started carrying BeefEaters freeze dried cat treats. They have chicken, salmon, and shrimp. Also, check the dog treats. Anything freeze dried will work. Just break the pieces into smaller sizes.

5. Joe & Kushi

Joe & Kushi Member

Thanks, I'll keep trying her on the freeze dried treats....she will eat them, but not as readily as she would the "Greenies". Maybe eventually she will learn to love them. :cool:

6. underdawg

underdawg Member

We use BeefEaters freeze dried chicken cat treats from Petsmart too. They are magic! Bo does not mind the ear pricks at all as long as the chicken treats keep coming. Also my hard to pill cat, Andy, who has UTI problems will eat these so I give several small pieces of chicken then put down a small "loaded" pill pocket rolled in chicken "dust" followed quickly by another piece of chicken. With Andy when he needs pills, i have to go fast with all the treats and the pill pocket. I never thought he would take another pill until I found the chicken. Works like a charm. I went to Petsmart one day and almost freaked because the shelf was empty! They found some for me!

Kym & Timmy likes this.
  7. Kris & Motska (GA)

Kris & Motska (GA) Member

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I was wondering if any of the low-carb treats are easy to chew for a cat that's "dentally challenged"?

Motska had 6 teeth pulled a month ago, so I'm really hesitant to give her any treats that have a beef-jerky consistency to them, because she won't be able to chew them very well (and I don't want to chance her choking on them).

Thanks!

Kris

8. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Bonito flakes are dried flakes - Motska should be able to lick them up. No chewing involved.

9. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Julia & Bandit (GA) Well-Known Member

Bandit only has about half his teeth, too. The Beefeaters Chicken and Salmon treats at Petsmart are soft enough where he has no problem chewing. They're crumbly, not hard.

10. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

another good snack is raw or steamed chicken meat.

I get boneless, skinless chicken breast when on sale and freeze each one separately.
    As needed, I take one out, thaw and then steam it. Just chop up the meat into tiny pieces and you have a healthy snack that is easier to eat if tooth-challenged.

ETA: you can also give pill pockets, the Duck and Pea variety because all the others have sugar/sweeteners.

11. Joe & Kushi

Joe & Kushi Member

12. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

Raw chicken is fine for cats. Lots of people here feed their cats a homemade raw diet that includes raw chicken and organs. A cat's stomach and quick digestion can handle mmost things Humans can't.

You can plain cook chicken if you are uncomfortable with feeding raw as treats. Boiled, steamed, baked, poached, etc.

13. Joe & Kushi

Joe & Kushi Member

Thanks, that should work out just fine....we eat lots of chikin... :lol:

14. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

the chicken is an awesome snack!
    but each cat has a preference.

I have one, Oliver, who LOVES LOVES LOVES his raw chicken snacks. I use the snacks when he is wanting to eat in the couple hours prior to shots.
    I have another, Shadoe, who totally refuses raw, acts almost insulted. She does love the chicken lightly steamed and cut in tiny chunks.

Whenever I am making chicken for myself, I always put some aside for the cats.

15. Christie & Willie (GA)

Christie & Willie (GA) Well-Known Member

Willie is pretty much toothless, and he eats the freeze dried chicken treats with no problem. Honestly, once they get in the mouth and they gum them for a second, their saliva moistens them and they actually become pretty soft. Placing them in a folded damp paper towel for a bit before feeding would also soften them a bit.

Willie also LOVES the catmando dried Bonito flakes... (I call them his Bonitos... kinda like doritos! :lol: :lol: ). Seriously... I've never seen him goes as positively nutty as the first time he sniffed the canister of bonitos. wish I'd gotten that moment on video!!

16. Joe & Kushi

Joe & Kushi Member

Kushi seems to be taking more and more to the freeze dried chicken snacks....what progress! :smile:

17. Jessie & Louie

Jessie & Louie New Member

Lou loves Evo Wild cravings - i think they are available at petco.

18. Steph & Cuddles (GA)

Steph & Cuddles (GA) Well-Known Member

Bandit had ALL of her teeth pulled, due to stomatitis, and she LOVES the temptation (hard) treats. She just inhales them! It's how I get her to eat her prednisolone pill... in a pile of treats she just inhales. ;-) I did just buy some of those BeefEater freeze dried chicken treats at Petsmart tonight though. We think Kami has food allergies, so I wanted a healthy treat Kami could eat too. Hoping Bandit likes these as much as her Temptations!

19. Deborah&Saatz-Su

Deborah&Saatz-Su Member

If you are OK with ordering things online, Dr. Foster and Smiths site has some great 100% meat treats. Right now their freeze dried liver treats are on sale in the 14 oz size. Here is the link:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... atid=19205

I just got my order of one chicken and one lamb in last week. They are soft and crumbly, easy to put on food that he doesn't want to eat, and they can be re-hydrated if your cat likes them very squishy. I am careful how much he gets as they are 100% liver and I don't want him to overload on iron or anything, but they have turned shot time from something that was a struggle into something he doesn't even notice me giving him anymore.

They also have treats on their site that are 100% chicken, and 100% different kinds of seafood, but I have not tried those yet.

20. Joe & Kushi

Joe & Kushi Member

No, I have no problem ordering on line, in fact, I order from DR Foster & Smith. :smile:

21. squeem3

OnlyNaturalPet.com has many of the low carb treats listed on the treat post (which needs to be updated to include other treats like PureBites) :smile:

Find coupon codes to use at http://www.retailmenot.com There's usually a 5% off for new customer coupon code at OnlyNaturalPet.com I'm not sure if DrsFosterandSmith.com has any coupon codes listed there but you can check.

22. Pam & Po-Kitty

Pam & Po-Kitty Member

I knew I would find what I was looking for! I am getting my list up this a.m. of all the low carb can foods and low carb treats... I do have a dehydrator thingy' ,,,, HAHA- still in the box! Guess I am gonna put it to good use! I can get to a pet smart, petco etc... not today, they are in another town, 45 min., away.. so, I wont be able to go today. But I will Monday I hope!

Thanks again, I am excited to make PO-kitty and all of my other FUR-Babies, some special YUMMY's! :RAHCAT

23. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

Check out the dog treat aisle at PetSmart. They have large bags of the freeze dried chicken for a lot less, than the brand names. If you try the bonito flake and they like them, go to an asian market to get more. Bonito flakes are used to make soup and you can get big bags really cheap, single ingredient, human grade.

24. After reading here about the freeze-dried treats at PetSmart, I went there last week and they had the shrimp variety on sale for half price. SWEET! Bob lives to eat shrimp, and as soon as I cracked the container open, he came flying into the kitchen (they have a very strong odor) doing the "I want shrimp NOW" cry. These are the beefeaters brand. They had two other varieties, (salmon and chicken?) but those weren't on sale.
    I've also found that if I give him a new/different wet food flavor that he isn't a big fan of, all I have to do is crush one or two of the freeze-dried shrimp and sprinkle it on top. Gone in seconds.

I also picked one up that I haven't seen mentioned unless I missed it. Wellness Pure Delights - Turky and Salmon Jerky. Comes in a 3 oz. bag. On the bag it says "No meat by-products, wheat, corn or artificial anything". They are tiny squares of what looks like meat, and there's supposed to be 300+ in the bag. Haven't opened them yet. It also says "all natural and grain free" and 1.2 calories per treat. What it doesn't say that I can find is what the carbs content is. I'm hoping it's very low, but that's why I haven't yet opened the bag. Anyone know?

The other treat I give Bob regularly is freshly caught shrimp, just boiled for 3 minutes and cut into bite sized chunks. There's virtually no carbs in a shrimp, and they are a decent source of protein with low calories to boot. Those are a "special treat" for rewards after something like 100 ccs sub-q lactated ringers.

Carl

25. squeem3

Wellness Pure Delights are fine :smile: They're one the list of popular low carb treats: http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9172

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.