? Low carb cat toothpaste?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Ana & Frosty (GA), Sep 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ana & Frosty (GA)

Ana & Frosty (GA) Well-Known Member

so a friend of mine just told me he brushes his cats teeth once a week with poultry flavored tooth paste. I feel like frosty would LOVE that bc anything good flavored is a go with him, and it would be great to be able to brush his teeth to prevent gum disease. Does anyone brush their cats teeth? I don’t know anything about ingredients in the tooth paste - do they have carbs?

Thanks in advance!

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I brush my cat's teeth every night. I started when he was young.....he took about two weeks to get used to it and now just lets me do it. There are videos on utube as to how to do it.

My current cat Harry is not a diabetic so I didn't have to worry about carbs in the toothpaste. Human toothpastes are dangerous for cats.
    I use Sentry Petrodex which is an enzymatic toothpastefor cats. Here are the ingredients
    Sortibol, Di calcium phosphate, water, hydrated silica, glycerin, barley malt extract, dextrose,xanthan gum, acidified ca,chum sulfate, potassium benzoate, potassium sorbate, aspergillosis niger fermentation extract................oh my goodness what a long list!

You can clean cats teeth without toothpaste as well....just use a cat toothbrush or a baby toothbrush. Some people use a piece of rag and put it on their finger and rub the teeth with it. It certainly makes a difference to the teeth which don't get coated with muck and keep lovely and white. And the gums look very healthy.
    Gnawing on raw bones is also very good for keeping teeth clean.

Ana & Frosty (GA) likes this.
  3. Ana & Frosty (GA)

Thanks for the info! Yes, my friend said they use the enzymatic tooth paste also. Dextrose is definitely sugar, although it could be in small amounts since it’s in the middle of the list. I’m gonna try to look into it. I know Frosty will only cooperate if he thinks he’s getting some food so it needs to be food flavored, haha.

What type of raw bones are recommended for cats?

4. Sylvie

Sylvie Member

skip the toothpaste. i use a dab of semi solid cold pressed coconut oil with a baby soft washcloth on the cats that will not beat me up 2-3 times a week and have never had a cat need dental cleanings/etc.. there is no carbs-glycerin/etc like pet toothpastes have, just one ingredient that works better than toothpastes IMO. the oil helps cloth glide along their gums better, no nasty flavor and from personal experience (i make my own toothpaste with coconut oil), it dislodges food between teeth ten folds better than toothpastes (i rarely have to floss). it also helps food not stick to teeth as easily too, plus it has antibacterial benefits.

Beth 73 likes this.
  5. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I feed Harry chicken wings, chicken necks or chicken frames mainly and he eats the lot. Also chicken gizzards are good for cats chewing on them.

@Sylvie where do you buy the semi solid cold pressed coconut oil? I live in Australia so not sure where I would get it. Sounds interesting. What do the cats think of the coconut oil?

6. Ana & Frosty (GA)

I will lose my finger with that method with my cat LOL. He definitely needs toothpaste to motivate him to allow this, and also a long toothbrush so I don’t get bit.

7. Sylvie

Sylvie Member

you should be able to find it at a health/drug store over there these days but, online like at amazon is probably your best bet although sure looks like ya'll are still limited on brands/things there! look for 'raw coconut oil' on Amazon AU there's a couple on there but, not brands i am familiar with. My cats don't seem to mind the taste itself, it is not a very strong one at all really, very subtile.

8. Sylvie

Sylvie Member

that long toothbrush scared most of my cats and i felt it was too hard to tell if i was rubbing too hard on their gums or hurting corner of their mouth while trying to get back teeth. i would use the finger brush thingie first, kinda bulky but, cats aren't as scared of it.. the toothbrushes are better for dogs IMO.
    As for toothpaste, the suppose best is the virbac C.E.T enzymatic toothpaste, we use that for our dog and use to use it on the cats in the past, one we get is poultry flavored. honestly though not sure if okay for diabetic cats or not but, given the small amount we use, it shouldn't hurt BG too bad i wouldn't think but, still we chose to stop using it anyways.

btw if your kitty ends up not wanting his teeth brush, we use this with the ones that are hard headed, you just rub amount on upper molars with finger or qtip and you are done. works pretty well as far as i can tell.
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IJFAEPE/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.